Bounty Huneter is the first confirmed class for SW:TOR

Error

Staff member
http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

They look pretty cool so far. The class has a wrist mounted flamethrower like we seen from Jango Fett in AOTC as well as jet pack abillities.

We know jedi and sith will be playable but they have yet to annouce them as any sort of actual class. My guess is that they plan on breaking them up in to seperate classes (e.g. jedi guardian, sentinal, consular, etc.) which is pretty disappointing if you ask me. I'd rather not be pigeonholed in to any one acspect as a force user.

Mandarr

Staff member
Looks pretty sweet. It said something to the effect that the bounty hunter has access to the most powerful weapons. I would hope that the other classes will have weapons that are just as powerful or they'll be banta fodder. I don't want them to make it so just a few classes are the best ones to play. As for the jedi classes and such. I see what you're saying about being bogged down into one role, but I assume you're probably correct that they will break it up into different roles. I don't expect it to be like SWG where we could go any direction we wanted with our characters. But just like with bounty hunters and the other classes they make. I don't want them to make any one particular jedi role more powerful than the the others so that everyone will just play them and not the others.

Although I enjoyed Warhammer Online, they really made melee characters gimped in pvp battles against the ranged classes. Way too much crowd control going on. But the pve was a lot of fun to me at least. I'm more of a pve player anyway though. At least I didn't spend all my time fighting npc's and being rooted, nockbacked, rooted, knockbacked and then dead.

Error

Staff member
Well balance is one issue but I was thinking more along the lines of freedon with your character. I don't want some jedi class who is more suited to lightsaber combat while another completly seperate jedi class excels in force powers. Out of the box it may be fine but what happens when you want to become a more powerful force user? You'll end up having to level another jedi class that excels in that aspect of the force.

Another problem with splitting them up is a large jedi population and reliance on those classes. If you split the jedi and sith it to three seperate classes each then I doubt they'll make up for it my creating more classes to choose from. I think it would take away development of other classes and limit the choices to a couple non force user classes and several jedi classes.

It's going to be a level based system so it wont be anything like SWG in terms of leveling and building a character, I'll assume it to be similar to WoW.

As for the BH having the most powerful items comment. That is nothing more than a bunch of sparkle they're adding to draw a crowd to classes other than jedi.

Ethakk

Staff member
I've not seen anything to the effect of how gear will factor in. On the one hand I don't want to hunt around constantly looking for that one piece of gear though I don't mind pvp'ing for it (in that I won't pick a class that is currently broken and whine about it.) though gearing that way usually put in in a clumsy fashion.
Ultimately though I'd like to see more details of the minutiae of stuff other than just broad details of classes and such basically because anyone who says that some level of itemization doesn't make a difference is a fool.

Mandarr

Staff member
I get your point about the possible jedi classes Error. I was thinking more along the lines that they might have different force power choices and saber choices for the different classes in order to make them different. But really they should just make one jedi class and let you choose which saber and powers you want to use. I certainly hope they'll have more than just a couple non force sensitive characters available. I'm not sure if they'll have entertainers or merchants, but I hope they end up having them. I'd read somewhere once that they said they'd like to take the best stuff about SWG and other mmo's such as WoW and put it into their game as well as their own ideas.

That's where I agree with Ethakk about items. I don't want to have to raid stuff to get the best gear available to me, but I won't mind working for it either. I'm hoping for a real player driven econemy that isn't so out of whack that everything costs too much like things did eventually in SWG when they made items so rare that people were spending all their credits on one thing. I don't mind doing a bunch of missions to buy my weapons and armor and stuff if it's a reasonable price. Really though I guess if I had to spend more than it's really worth, that still would be better than having to spend 3 hours in the same raid over and over again hoping to get a new piece of equipment. That shits rediculous.

I just want the game to be fun. And I don't know about ya'll, but I plan to be one EVIL dude in this game. I'll definately be joining the Empire. I do believe they're calling it the Sith Empire aren't they? The dark side is calling me. I will give in to my anger and suffering and set forth punishment unto the masses of the galaxy! :D

Error

Staff member
Yes it's the sith empire, the true sith empire I should say. They're basically a continuation of the old sith empire of Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow who lost the great hyperspace war, the sith species was hunted down by the republic but some fled to the unknown regions of the galaxy to rebuild that empire.

I'd like to know who this sith emperor is, the only know sith lord to fit the bill is Darth Andeddu but who knows. IGN seems to think it's Naga Sadow but thier full of shit because Naga Sadow fled the great hyperspace war and went to Yavin 4 where he was eventually killed by Freedon Nadd after he took him on as an apprentice.

Bioware does a three page web comic every other friday if anyone is interested in EU lore, this coming up friday is thier next release.

Hopefully the story is solid, it should be with Drew Karpyshyn involved but who knows. He wrote the Darth Bane novels so it should be pretty good.

Error

Staff member
Ethakk;7998 said:
I've not seen anything to the effect of how gear will factor in. On the one hand I don't want to hunt around constantly looking for that one piece of gear though I don't mind pvp'ing for it (in that I won't pick a class that is currently broken and whine about it.) though gearing that way usually put in in a clumsy fashion.
Ultimately though I'd like to see more details of the minutiae of stuff other than just broad details of classes and such basically because anyone who says that some level of itemization doesn't make a difference is a fool.

I think we'll see a good ammount of itemization in the game, I'm not sure if it will be like WoW but they said that you'll know the difference between a high level characters and a low level one.

I also think they want to implement raids and such but nothing on the scale of WoW or even similar. I think they want you to be out manned instead of taking on one big boss.

Gear will ahve to come from somewhere and since they said "you wont be sitting around sewing a sweater" I'll assume it comes from some sort of PvE game.

I don't want to see anything over 10-15 man instances though, 10 would be ideal.

Error

Staff member
Mandarr;7999 said:
I get your point about the possible jedi classes Error. I was thinking more along the lines that they might have different force power choices and saber choices for the different classes in order to make them different. But really they should just make one jedi class and let you choose which saber and powers you want to use. I certainly hope they'll have more than just a couple non force sensitive characters available.

I just don't want to be locked in to any one system as a force user. I'm sure they'll all be capable but if I level one I'd like to have the room to build him differently than the way you're forced to play.

Mandarr;7999 said:
I'm not sure if they'll have entertainers or merchants, but I hope they end up having them. I'd read somewhere once that they said they'd like to take the best stuff about SWG and other mmo's such as WoW and put it into their game as well as their own ideas.

I doubt we'll see entertainers and merchants. They said they want a heroic game and that you play the role of a hero, how heroic is a merchant?

Ethakk

Staff member
"That's where I agree with Ethakk about items. I don't want to have to raid stuff to get the best gear available to me, but I won't mind working for it either. I'm hoping for a real player driven econemy that isn't so out of whack that everything costs too much like things did eventually in SWG when they made items so rare that people were spending all their credits on one thing. I don't mind doing a bunch of missions to buy my weapons and armor and stuff if it's a reasonable price. Really though I guess if I had to spend more than it's really worth, that still would be better than having to spend 3 hours in the same raid over and over again hoping to get a new piece of equipment. That shits rediculous."

In all fairness dude, don't complain about something you never did and I didn't say I wouldn't raid for it, personally I think it's r"i"diculous to play an MMO and not want to associate with people. In regards to raiding for some gear I agree with Error. Though economy wise I agree with Mantard. In general however when it comes to class type having some sort of fotm is bound to happen in regards to pvp towards that end I still tend to think that similar to itemization the more options the better; so long as it's not one ranged profession "Sniper" one melee profession "TKA" one combination "Bounty Hunter" one miscellaneous profession "Handyman" and half a dozen Jedi type professions that result in nothing but cloaked wankers running around all over the place.

As for the Darth Bane fellow that's interesting though I think it ultimately would have been better for the story if they'd went and gotten someone like Stackpole who writes about the stuff around the Jedi types more (though that'd be harder to write a book tie in to fatten Delrey's pockets..). Ultimately I just think if they go too far in the "force" direction it'll be a turn off for people like me who have more interest in the galaxy at large than the small handful of Godlike people who can open soda cans with their minds.

Top Bottom