Getting a leg up...

In SWG, we banded together and made a ton of money running resources. (Click here for a good laugh...) In WoW, I think that the resource market will be the way to go. Mandarr proved this by mining and selling on the auction house, and that was a newer character surrounded by higher ones. Although the resource market isn't as diverse, I think that an individual miner could make nice money, but a team of miners (like we had in SWG) could make a killing.

I plan to talk to Laz/Cadain and see if he is interested in crafting in WoW. If he is, then I want to get on the same server and basically function as we did in SWG. If he isn't, then my plan is to find a similar person on the server and proceed accordingly.

Do you guys agree? What did you like and/or dislike about the mining system we had going in SWG? Can anyone think of a better way to run things? Keep in mind that WoW's harvesting system is a manual one, and it does take one of the two professions you are able to choose.

Scudd

i have been undecided on secondary skills so far after tailor but i think i would be interested in helping with this venture.
i liked how in SWG you had already figured out how much i could get in a given amount of time so thats what you expected. I liked being responsible for a certain amount to help out. Count me in.
:rofl:

Error

Staff member
I wouldnt focus directly on mining, it does bring in a nice flow of gold but it dosent always sell. Many things in the game are money makers and unlike SWG, you dont have to worry about getting your vendor known to the public in order to sell.. Pulling orders may be difficult though,you can go out and find the minerals but you never know what you'll find unless you spend alot of time camping nodes so you can make a day out of cracking on a lump of iron..

Not sure on this but I thought I seen a post by cadain on the SWG forums saying he was gonna join the horde..If we did do anything for him on WoW then that would require that we join the horde as well or else we wouldnt have any sort of communication with them,or trading skills for that matter.

Finding alot stuff to resell on the AH is a good way to go, if you price something higher than the stuff on the AH then I would buy all that stuff up and resell it at your price. There are alot of money makers in the game,not sure what the biggest flow will be in the end but I'm sure everyone will find what does it for them...

First off... LMAO @ that link. I still remember, to this day, hand sampling that iron. Good times.

Ok, now onto the "business." I agree. The resource business is going to be the best way to make cash. But, and this is a huge but, there are some fundamental problems/concerns that I can see.

First off, it is not going to be the same as in SWG. We are not going to be able to drop harvs, walk away, and come back in a week to millions of credits. Basically, it is going to be hand sampling the resources. I'm sure most of you allready realize this, I just wanted to point it out to those that have no experiance in WoW yet (DUH... Scudd allready said this, my bad). Here is where my "evil" side (aka my over annalytical, number crunching side) kicks in. I did like, and think it will be a good way to approach things in WoW, the fact that we had a front man, i.e. Scudd, and he set up all the orders and we all went out to gather the mats. Overall in SWG, we had a great system going.

There are 3 major gathering professions in WoW (as I see it): Mining, skinning, and herbalism. I think you can count fishing too, but I don't, as it doesn't count towards your 2 professions and I don't see it being highly in demand. So, here is one dilemma: Do we all pick the same thing and try to maximize our output of one resource? Or, do we diversify and try to gather all 3 types and sell to all types of buyers?

If we choose to concentrate on one type, I'd say that mining mats would be the most widely in demand resources. They are used in blacksmithing and in engineering. I think engineering would be the higher demand of the 2, as there are quite a few limited use items in engineering. So, if we do go out to find buyers, I say that engineers are top on the list. Also, it seems that many of the good mining spots are in caves, which tend to have little nasties running around in them. That would make having a mining group a huge plus. We would be able to help kill stuff very quickly as a group and then get back to our mining. So, will we be better off concentrating on mining, or are we ok if we split our man power and have a few people in the various 3 professions?

There seems to be a wide consensus on a few of the forums I've been reading that skinning will also be a huge money maker. This works very much in the same way as it did in SWG: Find some animal to kill that has the type of leather you want, then kill it and skin it.

I also think that herbalism MAY BE a high demand skill. From what I've heard, finding some of the high end herbs is very hard. I think herbalism will be a low supply/high demand skill, so the potential profit margin will be huge per unit sold, but will be be able to sell enough units to make it worth while?

As far as Laz... I like Laz. I think he's a very honest, inteligent, and over all cool guy. With that said, and after talking to him about WoW a couple times, here is the one problem i see as far as selling to him goes... Will he be in our guild? I have talked to him a couple times, and it seems clear that he will be playing with 6 or so of his friends in WoW. I tossed around the idea of him joining up with us, since we are pretty good friends allready, and he seemed open to the idea. I trust his judgement in friends, so I can also see his buddies joining up with us if they so choose (obviously after we get to know them and come to like them, but that's what I mean by the fact that I trust Laz's judgement... I think the type of guys he hangs out with will fit in with the way we play, etc.). Now, IF he does decide to hook up with us, and ends up being in our guild, what do we do then? Do we continue to sell to him as we did before, or does the "I can't sell to you, you're family" aspect of the game that we've always had come into play? I guess we'll crosss that bridge when we get there.

Ok, so now that I went through that entire thought process, I then thought of something that made it all a moot issue...

Do we REALLY need money in WoW?

In SWG, money was a huge part of the game. Everything that was good in the game was usually player made, and thus, we had to buy it. In WoW, player made items are "to fill the gap" until you get that great loot item, per the Dev's description. The biggest money sink I can see in the game is buying your spells, etc. The only other constant money sink I can think of is transportation, i.e. the tram, gryphon rides, etc. Other than that, I don't see a huge need for money in the game.

I think that if we have a good diverse group of crafters in the guild, and a diverse group of gatherers as well, we will be very well off as far as aquiring player made items. In the end, all the good armor, weapons, etc. are going to be loot items, most probably from the raid quests/dungeons. This will mean that the demand for player made items will be low, thus effecting the demand for mats. Also, there will be no "best weaponsmith/armorsmith on the server" type crafters either (i.e. Thoax, Cadain). So, as long as we have a leathercrafter that has leveled up to the top, for example, and we can gather the mats that he/she needs, then we can have them make the best possible leather armor that is player craftable.

I plan on making my 1st character a Warlock, with enchanting as one of my professions. The way I'm thinking now, I'd like to have the 2nd profession be a gathering type. This will fit in with my vission of gathering being more important early on that it will be later on in the game. I'll then make a warrior that is an engineer and probably a blacksmith. We'll see.

SOOOOOOOO... Wrapping everything up... I think that we should concentrate on gathering mats and selling them early on in the game to make money to get us through the levels up to 60. Later on in the game, gathering skills will not be as in demand, and thus will not produce as much money. That's ok, because I also think that later in the game, the need for huge ammounts of money will also be lower. I think that we should have at least one type of every profession in the guild by the time the whole gathering "fad" dies down, so that we can support ourselves effectively.

That's the way I see things as of now. I'm always open to other opinions, so my views may change by the time the game is released, but as for now I think that's the best way to go.

"Selling Bowcasters, $20k!" [COG]

Originally posted by Error
Not sure on this but I thought I seen a post by cadain on the SWG forums saying he was gonna join the horde..If we did do anything for him on WoW then that would require that we join the horde as well or else we wouldnt have any sort of communication with them,or trading skills for that matter.

It's been a while sinse I have talked to him, but he told me that he was planning on making a Human Warlock. Maybe he decided on undead, as they are the best race for warlocks at the momment. I'm sure that will change when all the rest of the race traits come out.

Finding alot stuff to resell on the AH is a good way to go, if you price something higher than the stuff on the AH then I would buy all that stuff up and resell it at your price. There are alot of money makers in the game,not sure what the biggest flow will be in the end but I'm sure everyone will find what does it for them...

I forgot to mention... It has been stated a million times on the forums I've been reading that the BEST way to make money in the game will be selling really good loot items at the AH. Now, I'm not saying that a gathering business will not work, but I do see their point in the fact that there is much more money to be had in selling good loot.

Persoanlly, I think I would have much more fun going out and hunting/questing with fellow COGers and looting and plundering the land than I would sitting on a mineral vien and gathering minerals. But, I have not tried gathering yet, so I don't want to knock it just yet.

Error

Staff member
Well in WoW you kinda come across things as you go, at the higher levels you can camp instances and get the items from them but that gets old after awhile. I say we play the game and have fun,as time goes by we will come across all the resources needed and aquire items on the journey.

As far a money sinks in WoW, buying skills at the higher is expensive so you have to get a jump on the market in some way in order to afford that, item repair,travel,new items ect.

I'm sure we'll do well, it's not very difficult or stressful to make a flow in this game and as I said in my previous post the AH provides all players the chance to make money which is a good thing...

just dont spend all your tme in the freaking auction house trying to win an item with stats that are 2 points better than what you currently have...

Error

Staff member
Originally posted by Pointman
It's been a while sinse I have talked to him, but he told me that he was planning on making a Human Warlock. Maybe he decided on undead, as they are the best race for warlocks at the momment. I'm sure that will change when all the rest of the race traits come out.

I thought the post said something about a troll, mabye it was about EQ2 but I'm not sure...

Hehe, I can get in a groove sometimes, and stuff just keeps flowing through my head and out of my fingers.

Mandarr

Staff member
I know mining and skinning are profitable at later stages in the game as well as probably somewhat at the start when the server is fresh. Although those that would need those materials wouldn't have too much to spend on those resources themselves thus making the profit for the supply very low.

Perhaps it'd be best to give those of us that are working on the crafting professions the materials to use so they can level their skills and make us what we need as they advance. If we have a huge supply of materials we could then either put it up for auction at the auction house or have Scudd find a buyer for our excess materials.

I'll be no doubt making a rogue at first with mining and skinning as his professions. I'll also be doing as I have been doing in the closed beta and will be watching auctions and buying and reselling items from there. Alot of people seem to like to set their minimum auction prices so damn low that if the people actually win the materials at that price. The seller is not only selling themselves short, but they're screwing up the fair market value for all suppliers.

The closed beta has been going for months and months and I've made enough to purchase a horse and get trained to ride it. Learn all the skills I need to pay to learn. Buyout some of the best stuff I see available for my character at the auction house at times and I still have alot of gold.

When I gave Error 10 gold to buy the tabard design it put me down to perhaps 10 gold left. Within about three days of my mining and buying and reselling ways at the auction house. I had enough to buy a horse, learn to ride it and had a whole new set of armor to boot lol.

I did notice that people were starting to raise their prices when they saw I was selling out materials at a fast rate. But then at times the auction house was also saturated with too much supply and then people weren't willing to pay the prices I'd set them to be.

So I then had enough gold to pretty much buyout or at least raise the auction bids of all the materials I was buying/selling. Thus raising the demand and supply back up to the prices I was selling them at lol.

I could find people selling a 20 stack of linen cloth for 10 silver or some bs like that and then I'd buy it out and turn around and set it at a minimum bid of say 15 silver 50 copper with a buyout of perhaps 25 to 35 silver. Most everything I've sold at the AH has always been on a buyout lol.

There's alot of money to be made by buying and selling items at the AH lol. Error and I were catering to more of the WE WANT IT NOW group though. And the ones who wanted to try to wait it out for the super long auctions and try to win the materials for way below what it's selling for at a buyout. They were getting screwed over by myself since I would raise the minimum price on all the auctions by bidding on them all that were too low.

They'd either outbid me and pay more and give the seller a fair price or I'd win the auction and turn around and sell it again anyway for a profit lol.

If we can find some folks that want some large quantities of materials that's cool and all, but I think most people were buying the supplies as they needed it due to the lack of inventory space.

With the AH system for buying you could keep alot of the mail unread and thus have the items in storage there as well. That's what I was doing with health potions and some food I was buying. Then I could get them from any mailbox I ran across if I needed more instead of going all the way back to a city with a bank.

There's definately money to be made in the game and many ways to go about it. :troy:

Personally, I think I would have much more fun going out and hunting/questing with fellow COGers and looting and plundering the land than I would sitting on a mineral vien and gathering minerals. But, I have not tried gathering yet, so I don't want to knock it just yet.

I guess after talking to E about it, the way it works is that you only sit on a vein for about 10 seconds or so and gather up 2-4 units, then you have to find another. So I guess we won't have to worry about the whole "getting bored sitting on a vien for hours at a time" deal. Also, that's gonna make it a pain in the ass to fill "orders" for a specific type/ammount of mineral. It's gonne be much easier for people that need something to take up the respective gathering profession and get it themselves I think.

WARNING: LONG POST!

I agree with E and Mandarr that you can make decent profit as a "day trader" in WoW. What I really think will happen is exactly what happened in SWG believe it or not.

In any of these games, there will always be the population of the "leet, I pwnd you, your (insert family member) blows donkey dick, that was cheap, pick on someone your own size" PvP'ers. With that comes people that will pay for the best armor and weapons that they can get their hands on. Not to mention that WoW basically has the Force Ranking System that SWG tried to implement for Jedi but they applied it to their entire PvP system.

From what we have seen, WoW has a nice balance of items that are given from quests and loot and items that are player crafted. What I have not seen is the highest level of armor and weapons that can be crafted by a player character. Maybe there is still a balance, but without reaching the higher levels, we won't know. The other thing is that at the very least, people will need these resources to level up in engineering and blacksmith. Remember, there are a lot of players that play these types of games just to craft.

With all that in mind, I like the fact that the mining has to be done by hand. I believe this will make the demand far greater than the supply. I envision working with someone that isn't expecting an exact amount of each type of resource at an exact time. I think a more realistic expectation is a steady flow of all types of resources loosely regulated to match the demand of items that need to be crafted.

I think that skinning will also take on a more valuable role in the game, mainly because tailors create cloth armor and clothes have values in WoW. I don't think it will surpass the need for mining because most of the "leet doods" won't be playing the types of characters that wear cloth armor.

Do we REALLY need money in WoW?
Yes. Although you make money in the game simply by running quests, I do not believe there are mission terminals that you can run all day to bump up your bank account. Also, once you hit a training level, the money that you do have is whisked away in trade for your newly acquired skills. This sucks, but I see the necessity for it.

It's gonne be much easier for people that need something to take up the respective gathering profession and get it themselves I think.
No. The constraint on a crafter in SWG was lots. They were not able to supply themselves with a place to do business and enough harvesters to gather the resources they needed with 10 lots. In WoW, that constraint is time. If one person tried to gather the materials they needed to craft, craft the items and actually level their character, they would probably have to play 24 hours a day. Most people don't have that kind of time to play.

Just as in SWG, the value isn't necessarily in the resource, but in the ability to deliver large amounts of the resource in a consistent manner. That's where I see the value in a large mining team. Large stacks of an item sell for a lot more per item than small stacks. See Mandarr's Sanford and Son example above...

Can't you use the mail system to send the items? To me, this seems like the perfect delivery system and would have saved me a ton of time in SWG had it existed. I'm not sure if WoW's "pony express" delivers from the Alliance side to the Horde side though. I also think that you can learn the language of the horde if someone from the horde teaches you that language and I would imagine you can communicate in tells.

Sorry for the long post. I am glad to see folks getting excited about this game though!

Scudd

Mandarr

Staff member
I'm not sure about being able to mail to opposing faction, but I do like the mail system. I'll have to run an experiment with the game when I get back in and see if it's possible to really send 3 items per email though.

They have 3 slots for items, but I don't know if they'll allow more than one or not. If we were to mail resources to people, I'd want them to reimburse us for the cost of the email as well in the price of the materials though heh. Perhaps offer free shipping if we're able to send 3 items per email though.

People seem to think that it's not worth it to pay more than 40 silver for a stack of 20 copper. (Most items only go to stacks of 20 maximum. Some even just 10 or 5.) I think that's on the low side myself because it takes alot of time to gather those materials.

They aren't factoring in the time for aquiring the stack, fighting through the mobs to get to it. (Which takes some time when you're low level, but at high level it's like playing in God mode in the newbie zones and collecting low level minerals such as copper and tin.)

There is also the time needed to smelt all the minerals once you've finaly gathered a good supply of materials and have gone back to town. While it doesn't take all day to smelt the stuff, if you've got yourself large slot bags like I have. (Four 14 slot bags and the default 16 slot backpack.)

It's going to take awhile to smelt say 100 copper or what not. I'd say it's worth at least 50 silver per 20 stack minimum. That'd be 2.5 silver per bar. That's at least a fair price for the time and effort to collect copper, tin and bronze.

For silver which is harder to aquire do to the fact it spawns randomly where the tin nodes would spawn up here and there. I like to charge more for that of course do to the fact it takes more time to collect it. I may have small ammount tacking up a slot space in my bank while waiting to finish the stack of 20.

Again, people are trying of course to get that as cheap as possible just like everything else. But catering more to the "we need it now" group with a buyout on the auction house. I'd been selling silver for at least a minimum of 1 gold with a 1.5g to 2g buyout.

For Iron, it may be a little easier to come across nodes than the silver. But then you've got to go into a little bit harder areas to reach the materials. So again time factors into that as well as the fact that it's a much needed item for alot of what the blacksmiths make.

I'd been charging at least 1.5g with a 2.25g to 2.5g buyout per 20 stack of Iron.

Mithril is harder to aquire alot of at one time and is also in harder areas. I'd seen it was selling for quite a bit at the AH as well so I was selling that with a 4g minimum and a 5g buyout.

Truesilver is even harder to find than silver it seems. At least that's what I've come across. I guess that's why the price of the truesilver at the AH is going for so much. That and the fact it's in harder areas and needed to make some of the really good stuff they can make.

I think I've only aquired enough truesilver for one stack so far myself and I sold it a little less than the other people at the time just so I could get the gold fast. I'm pretty sure I put it at a 10g minimum with a 15g buyout, but I've seen many auctions going for a good 15g to 20g buyout for truesilver.

Although I can now mine Thorium, I have yet to find a node. Let alone a node I can fight my way to and mine lol. I'm pretty sure that stuff is in the searing gorge high level areas and what not. I've seen it selling for about the same amount as the truesilver at the AH, but I imagine it's a little easier to come across such as like with the mithril.

I think there's some other type of mineral that's minable, but I'm not sure what it's called and it's probably very rare to find. I'm not sure, but I think they may even add more minerals at retail perhaps.

As for leather, that's primarily used in leathercrafting items. But blacksmiths and tailors do need some leather items at times for different items as well. I was doing very well selling the light leather I'd collect when I was skinning. (Which comes in stacks of 10) But lately I'd just been buying it up and reselling it at the AH lol.

I was selling light leather as a 15s 50c minimum with anywhere between 20 to 30s buyout. Depending on how saturated the auction house was at the time.

For some reason I wasn't able to sell the light and medium hides as well if at all. And when I got to medium and heavy leather it didn't seem to be worth the effort either. But then I started hearing people asking for it around the AH after I'd sold the skinning skill which I shouldn't have done lol.

It would be very beneficial to have a customer or two that needed that light, medium or perhaps heavy leather instead of trying to sell it at the AH. It does suck to put an auction up for 24 hours and the item doesn't sell. You're charged a certain ammount for putting the auction up and although Error says he always gets that fee back, I sure don't.

I don't get that fee back if it sells either and it seems they take an additional ammount perhaps as well if it sells. Probably the same ammount you had to put the auction up to begin with. So it sucks to be trying to sell items that aren't in demand and losing money by trying to sell it through the AH.

I started to sell the stuff to npc's after one attempt at the AH, rather than take another loss at the AH.

Linen and wool cloth are always in very high demand. Some people were selling those items for way outrageous prices as buyouts, so I was making good turn around profit on the auctions I'd win for that stuff. That stuff is used in tailoring as well as at least first aid.

Linen could go for a good 30s per 20 stack and the wool was selling at 50s lol. When you start killing some higher level npc's you'd start collecting some silk cloth and that was selling for a good 75s to 1g.

I kept telling myself I'd make a price guide for the items I was selling and keep the prices the same all the time, but I never did do that yet.

I've noticed lately a market for other items that are aquired from creatures in the game. Such as large fangs or certain fish, etc. needed for different crafted items. The problem is storage space though in the bank when trying to collect a full stack of those goods since you don't always collect a full stack right away.

Spider silk must be a much needed item for tailoring, but they may only use two or three units of it at a time per item. Much like I'm sure the blacksmiths, etc. do with the other resources. It's just another thing that's collectable for later resale.

You can either get a fast buyout with an npc for that stuff. Which they don't give you much at all, but every little bit adds up. Or you can wait and collect yourself a stack and put it on the AH and see if you can't turn it around for a good profit.

I'd read they plan to lower the price of extra slot space at the bank where you can add more storage bags. I certainly hope they do lol. Right now the first extra slot was only like 10 silver and the second was 1 gold, but the third was like 10 gold. I never bought a fourth which is currently 100 gold and I imagine the fifth is probably currently priced at 1k gold.

I don't mean to scare ya'll with storage talk as though there's not enough. It's just sometimes I just fill up my slots there with potential sellable looted items or I'm aquiring stacks of goods to sell and I can fill up all my slots in one or two trips to the bank.

That way I can keep on doing whatever without stopping to go to the AH right then and probably add even more items to sell in my (on person) inventory slots hehe.

With what I collect along the way and with auctions I win and turn around and then resell. I could sometimes have over a good 100 items up for auction at a time. And within seconds sometimes of putting stuff up for auction it's selling out lol.

I find that especially funny when I win a bunch of auctions for linen or wool cloth or find some foolish people selling those materials with a super low buyout which I then buy. Then I turn around and put them all back up for auction and they're all sold in a very short time haha.

Even if I'm only turning a 5 to 10 silver profit, it all adds up since I have so many auctions going for the stuff lol. And all it costs me is a little bit of time to bid on the items, go to the mailbox and then put them up for sale.

I know for a fact that if we can all work together on quests such as the Gnoll guy Hogger, etc. We can keep ourselves going with some very good gear for our current levels. Then we won't have to purchase anything really expensive for quite some time lol.

If we can get some linen cloth to Hama and Rapture right away and they're tailoring. We can have them make us much needed inventory bags for extra storage.

Same goes with mining stuff for a blacksmith. Those copper weapons are better than what we can get for the early quests. All it takes is some mining and some silver for the purchase of the other items needed from the vendors. (Some items must be purchased by vendors in order to craft items. I don't think it's possible for the players to make these items. Such as dye, seasoning or whatever.)

It doesn't take long at all to get to level 10 with characters and we could all be set up very well right from the get go mwuhahaha!!!

You'll see what I'm talking about when playing in open beta or the stress test if that's what they're going to call it. We'll work together and come up with a workable strategy to get the job done as easily and safely as possible hehe.

Continued....

Mandarr

Staff member
(continued from previous post which when I tried to submit told me I was about 800 characters too long in my post LOL)

Sometimes Error and I have had to try different approaches to things in order to come up with the best strategy. But with a larger group and different classes working together correctly. Instead of the rag tag groups we've been in sometimes. We can get the job done I'm sure.

It'll be nice to have more of us that can sit back and look at the situation we're dealt with and decide what the plan is before just rushing in and attacking and agroing everything. Alot of people we've grouped with just don't stop to think about anything it seems.

As a rogue I'll eventually be able to "sap" people and knock them out for 30 seconds with the possibility to go back into stealth mode even to sap some more. Others such as Scudd will have the ability to "sheep" the targets. By doing that we will take a situation of three potential targets that would agro and put them down to one guy who will get his ass kicked hard by all of us.

Damn I'm having withdrawls from this game. :4:

HAHA! We are all getting large posts in this thread, but like Scudd said, it's great to see people so excited about it.

I really want to believe Scudd is right, but I have read too much information to contrary. I have read MANY times on both the official trade skill forums as well as on the IGN forums that the BEST source of income in the game is selling loot items. Great loot items go for a good price, just like in SWG via the trade forums. I understand that you have to take info from forums with a grain of salt, but it's hard to argue with so many people that seem to agree on this. It has also been said that getting money to train really isn't that difficult. They say you can pretty much support your training costs off of selling your loot back to NPCs or at the AH. If I want to get a player crafted item, I'd like to hope that we have a diverse group of professions in our guild, and I can get something from them, just as any enchantment you guys want will be free from me, so I don't see the need of having to get cash to buy player items.

I agree that if we are able to gather large ammounts of minerals, for example, that we will be able to sell them and make a decent profit. I still want to try that out. One of the biggest problems I fear though, is that it will not be very practical to assume we will be able to gather such large stacks. As Error said, you are talking about 2-4 units PER VEIN. I see this being very much like gather hide in SWG, and I do not want to go back to that. That was without a doubt one of the most boring things I ever tried to make an income in that game. As Error has said, it would be much more enjoyable if we just run quests and hunt, and mine minerals as we find veins, rather than head out with the sole intention of finding veins.

The other major concern is the viability of player crafted items. Like Scudd, I have not seen any of the high end items in the game, but I have seen what is possible to make via Thottbot. I have also seen the loot available in the game right now, also via Thottbot. The loot is way better, hands down. It was even said by Caydiem (Dev, aka Thunderheart of WoW) that player crafted items are only meant to fill the gap between the time you reach a level and the time it takes you to loot something you can wear at that level. Most mobs drop items for 4-5 level below theirs, so you don't usually see to many good drops for level 30 until you start killing level 34-35 mobs, etc. For this reason, I think most player crafted armor and weapons will be temporary until that uber loot item is found. The only exception I see is engineering items. It's my understanding that there are many limited use items engineers make. If anything, this would be the way to go as far as finding a buyer for our resources. Caydiem also stated CLEARLY that playr professions are NOT meant to be ways to make money in the game. They do not want the type of imbalance in the economy that a player crafted market can bring. We'll just have to see how true they stay to this idea.

I am 100% sure I will be taking up enchanting with my warlock. I didn't really intend it to be a money maker, but from what Error and Mandarr have told me, enchanters make some good cash in the later levels. If we decide to run a mining business, even though I'm not too sure how well it'll make money, I'm still willing to give it a try.

Originally posted by Mandarr
I don't mean to scare ya'll with storage talk as though there's not enough. It's just sometimes I just fill up my slots there with potential sellable looted items or I'm aquiring stacks of goods to sell and I can fill up all my slots in one or two trips to the bank.
Ha! Storage is gonna be a MAJOR pain for me. I have to lug around all those soulshards with me, and they don't stack. I was gonna do tailoring mainly so I could get myself as many large bags as I can, but now that it seems Hama and Rapture are gonna do tailoring, I'll probably refrain.

Originally posted by Mandarr
As a rogue I'll eventually be able to "sap" people and knock them out for 30 seconds with the possibility to go back into stealth mode even to sap some more. Others such as Scudd will have the ability to "sheep" the targets. By doing that we will take a situation of three potential targets that would agro and put them down to one guy who will get his ass kicked hard by all of us.
Your role as a rogue will be very important to group play. As it is right now, rogues have the best sustained DPS of any class. By sustained DPS, I mean they can keep their output high throughout the entire fight. It seems warlocks also have a good sustained DPS with all of our DOTs. Mages have really good "burst" DPS, meaning they will outdamage most classes for the 1st 30 seconds or so, but then they run out of mana and have to rest before they can get back in the fight. I'm definately glad we will have a rogue with us early on. It'll help us do some harder quests earlier than we might have been able to.

Error

Staff member
Like I said somewhere on TS or in a previous post, not sure which but at some point I said it. Everything has it's place in the game which is very cool and unlike the system in SWG I welcome this. Mining is largly needed for many of the items in the game from weapons and armor to engineering.The cool thing about it is the fact that some of the best items are loot items and some are crafted items that come from looted plans. I have looted multiple blue item plans in beta and they sell very well for a nice ammount of gold, when people start buying these plans they will then require the resources to make the items that the plans are for. Mithril rapiers seem to do well on the AH and they are a crafted blue name weapon that people want at a certain level, thats money for the miners as well as the people who sold the plans and on down to the blacksmith.

Looting items is a bit tougher than getting to mineral nodes though, you do in fact get many nice items from loot but you dont always loot enough in demand items make a profit from like you do while hitting up nodes. Sometimes you get lucky and come across a nice blue name item that you wont use or it isnt soulbound so you decide to sell it and make a 25-30g profit. When you finally do loot another nice item like that which can be traded I will have made 50-60g on the AH from silk/minerals/ect. Again, everything has it own place in the game and items are a hot seller but you have to aquire them first and hunting in groups calls for fairness so everybody gets their fair share of loot so what one guy gets you wont get...

Cloths in this game sell like hotcakes, throw 10 stacks of silk on the AH and you can bet your ass that it will sell faster than any other stuff up there. once you get to stranglethorn vale your money making options open up even more because you start looting alot of cloths, nice items and hit alot of mineral nodes on your journey. I dont think any one way will be a steady source of income for you, it takes alot of things in this game which is cool.

Several things I see myself doing to make money in this game at a steady pace...

1.mining: it keeps a steady flow coming in, stuff dosent always sell but for the most part it does and as your skill to gather more stuff increases so does the price of these minerals...You can make about 30g per stack on thorium which is quite a bit of gold per stack, the problem is not flooding the market with it...

2. Cloth: Again this is a big seller, you cant charge an arm and a leg for it but as you advance with you character you hit places that drop alot of different cloths. Theres always a need for them, first aid will make you zip through cloths like crazy so theres alot of money in these over time...

3.Loot: Some items sell and some dont, depending on your prices it is a nice profit maker. You wont always get the best stuff but you will aquire alot of nice items over time and even if they are soulbound you can sell them to vendors. You can sell stupid junk to vendors as well.

4. buying and reselling: Sometimes,well alot of the time you will se ppl who are charging far less than you for stuff, it might be smart to buy all that stuff up and post it at your prices. You wont always make a huge profit but it's a fair profit and it guarantees that your items will sell for that price...

I cant speak for many of the profressions out there because I dont know about skinning, leatherworking,herbalism,ect. I do know potions and stuff are expensive so there is alot money in that stuff and the potions out there are nice. Enchanting will be a very nice money maker but early on I wouldnt say so. It's a tough profression to do and you have to enchant green named items and up which is tough to co considering you either make a profit on them or disenchant them. In the begining you will lose alot more than you earn but when all is said and done you'll be charging 5-25g per enchant and there are always ppl looking for enchants on their new weapons or armor..

Whatever we do it will be fun and not feel like work as SWG did, the game offers alot of cool features and requires a shit load of temwork to do alot of the stuff in game. How we make our fortune in game has yet to be seen, things make differ from server to server for all we know. I think we'll make it by just fine, they game allows for the non crafters to make a fortune as well as the crafter...

Error

Staff member
Your role as a rogue will be very important to group play. As it is right now, rogues have the best sustained DPS of any class. By sustained DPS, I mean they can keep their output high throughout the entire fight. It seems warlocks also have a good sustained DPS with all of our DOTs. Mages have really good "burst" DPS, meaning they will outdamage most classes for the 1st 30 seconds or so, but then they run out of mana and have to rest before they can get back in the fight. I'm definately glad we will have a rogue with us early on. It'll help us do some harder quests earlier than we might have been able to.

I've seen rogues complaing about this in general chat, they need to keep that energy bar in order to have the steady DPS...

I want them to fix the zerkers do I can be a dps warrior instead of a hard hitter...

Top Bottom