Getting a leg up...

Ethakk

Staff member
Geeze, sorry Lizzard boy, I only read the first line or so before my eyes started bleeding, but I agree with Scud that people will pay to get reliable amounts of resources to save themselves the time, aside from that dumping excess resources on the auctions, or day trading seems simple enough with a bunch of people running around I have one question though, are the items in the auction houses only shown in the specific place where they were put up for sale, or can you see any item up for sale from any location?

Error

Staff member
There are 3 auction houses int he entrie game world. One would be the horde based auction house in ogrimmar, the second would be the alliance based on in Iron Forge and last would be the cross faction auction house in gadgetzan. The horde can not buy from the IF Ah and the alliance cant but from the ogrimmar Ah. The one in gadgetzan can be used by both factions.

The items in IF can not be seen on the Ah in ogrimmar or gadgetzan and vice versa. Many many people frequent the AH locations and there are ALWAYS hordes of people at them so selling from the AH is no problem.

With the AH in place I really see no need to pull orders for specific people as we did in SWG. If someone wants it then sure I'll sell them whatever minerals I come across but you will get by selling on the AH just as well as you would with clients.

I wouldn't have a problem filling orders for a specific person as long as they add a nice premium to the price. We would typically be better off selling through the AH as it is an E-bay type system of bidding and buyouts. They way I see it, if we are going to guarantee someone resources at a fixxed price, then they are getting a HUGE service from us, not having to worry about finding the resources nor having to bid on them, thus not having to compete directly. I would think that adding 10-15% on top of what we would post as a buyout at the AH would be a fair way to price our "direct to the buyer" service.

Error

Staff member
Originally posted by hamadryad
or maybe a full set of uber stuff for all guildmembers on top of the regular AH price /grin

That would be a very costly deal...hehe

Error

Staff member
Them, uber gear is hard to come by in WoW, they can create alot of t but they might not be able to create an item you want to wear considering I tems have certain stats...

Reviving the Thread

Ok, so I ran a little experiment and ventured into the world of skinning and leatherworking. Both are pretty cool, but in an established economy, it was far more profitable to sell the raw materials than try to sell a finished leatherworked good.

A stack of 10 light leather was selling for around 50s-1g. A pair of leather gloves (not extrememly high level) that required 5 light leather were selling for around 2-5s. I am sure stuff at the higher levels sells for more, but this was just a small test and there wasn't enough light leather on the AH for me to level any further.

The lesson learned is that the higher up, well known crafters in the game are going to be more willing to pay for raw materials once they are established rather than trying to gather them on their own. The key word in that sentence is established, which won't exist until a few months into the game.

I think the same thing will hold true with mining and possibly herbalism. What makes skinning easy money is that you are already killing things to level, so you don't have to search out veins/bushes like with mining/herbalism. You also don't have to worry about "claim jumpers" with skinning. The only downside will be that the most elite crafters will most likely be the blacksmiths, and the time involved with mining will probably make it a higher demand item.

With skinning, you need leatherworking to turn the pelts that you loot into light leather. I guess you can try to sell the pelts, but I didn't see any of those on the AH. I am still undecided on what to do as far as the gathering professions go, but I do think getting in with someone who wants to be a crafter on the ground level and helping them be successful (level) is the way to go.

Scudd

I agree. I haven't "tested" anything firsthand, but I have been doing a lot of observing. It definately does seem that leather sales are very profitable. Especially the light leather durring the early stages (like what we are in now). I see that cloths sell at good prices too, as they are a loot only type of item that is also required in bulk. Mining materials seem to seel pretty well, but at slightly lower prices than leather and cloth at the moment. I think that once people start leveling up, mining will have higher profits, but it will come at a slightly higher "risk."

As Scudd said, leather is easier to fight for because, well, you don't have to. Veins on the other hand are "get it before the other guy does" types of things. I didn't know that you needed leather working to turn pelts into leather. That adds a new dynamic. That means to sell leather, you must spend both profession "point" on it. Due to that, and the fact that I want to stick it out with enchanting, I think I am going to choose mining instead. I think the big potential for mining will come at later stages of the game, once the crafters are leveled up and they really need that hard to find gold ore, etc. The market is also slightly bigger, because you have blacksmiths and engineers demanding it.

or
have one or two leather workers and have them turn the pelts into leather

Took the words right out of my mouth. If I decide to go Druid, I will probably use some of the leather to level up where I can provide leather "armor" for myself and for anyone else able to wear it.

There are also armor upgrade kits that can add +8 at the lower levels and +16 at the medium levels to any type of clothing. I would imagine that these would sell pretty well in bulk and would be in demand as people acquire new items.

Side question: I noticed that as I leveled up in leatherworking, I could create green items with stat mods on them. Are these disenchantable? If so, Point could take up enchanting and skinning, pass the pelts on to me, I make the item, level up, pass the green item over to Point, he disenchants it, levels up and we both win.

The hard part will be deciding whether or not to sell the leather or use it to level up...

Scudd

or

have one or two leather workers and have them turn the pelts into leather

BRILLIANT!

I don't know why I didn't think of that. That's a great idea. Maybe I WILL do skinning.

Originally posted by Scuddman
Side question: I noticed that as I leveled up in leatherworking, I could create green items with stat mods on them. Are these disenchantable? If so, Point could take up enchanting and skinning, pass the pelts on to me, I make the item, level up, pass the green item over to Point, he disenchants it, levels up and we both win.

Yes, I can disenchant them as far as I know. I'm pretty sure I can disenchant anything that is green or better.

Originally posted by Scuddman
There are also armor upgrade kits that can add +8 at the lower levels and +16 at the medium levels to any type of clothing. I would imagine that these would sell pretty well in bulk and would be in demand as people acquire new items.

Just a side note on this, while we are talking enchanting... Items can not have these patches AND an enchantment on them at the same time. So, it's gonna come down to whether or not somone wants more armor, or more +stats.

Error

Staff member
Originally posted by Pointman
Mining materials seem to seel pretty well, but at slightly lower prices than leather and cloth at the moment. I think that once people start leveling up, mining will have higher profits, but it will come at a slightly higher "risk."

I dont know about leather but cloth isnt selling for more than copper.. I keep buying stacks and stacks of linen for 7 silver and sell them for 10 on the Ah, copper on the other hand is selling for 20 to 25 BO and tin for 30-35 BO... Wool is selling for about 20s if your're lucky but other than that it dosent sell as well as copper or tin... My minerals usually get bought out about half an hour after I put them up for auction and the cloth usually dont sell until the auction is pretty much done for...

I'm sure at my mining level I can go find iron which will drag in some good change for the ppl who are excited about crafting the new items that require it so soon as I get a stack I'll see what the results are...

Error

Staff member
Originally posted by Pointman

Just a side note on this, while we are talking enchanting... Items can not have these patches AND an enchantment on them at the same time. So, it's gonna come down to whether or not somone wants more armor, or more +stats.

Yeah it's probabaly best to enchant items like a cloak/bracers and whatever and use armor kits on chest/ect.

Just an FYI, the armor kits are restricted to being used on four pieces. I think it is hands, chest, feet and legs, but not completely sure.

I was digging around on the WoW tradeskills board and discovered that leather and hide is a component not just for leatherworkers, but for smiths and tailors when they get to the medium and higher levels. That seems to explain why the demand for lower level leather increases as the economy progresses.

I still think mining will be the most in demand resource, but skinning won't require as much time or effort. I don't want WoW to become my "second job" like SWG.

I have sold the heck out of copper bars. I have some silver and tin as well that I am going to hold on to until I get a full stack as these two are a lot harder to find than the copper. I have a bank full of light leather that people just don't seem to want to buy but I figured if I held on to it long enough it would eventually be in demand.

Mandarr

Staff member
Originally posted by Grendel
I have sold the heck out of copper bars. I have some silver and tin as well that I am going to hold on to until I get a full stack as these two are a lot harder to find than the copper. I have a bank full of light leather that people just don't seem to want to buy but I figured if I held on to it long enough it would eventually be in demand.

Give that light leather to me and I'll turn it into medium leather and people will probably buy that all up from ya.

Top Bottom