It's official! Star Wars: The Old Republic

Error

Staff member
Yeah it sounds pretty bad ass so far and from what I've seen it dosent look just as good.

I'd like to see much more info on classes, zones, combat, content etc.

I'm hoping they take some of the SWG systems and put them in this game. Things like player housing/cities, gathering and crafting would be a great change from that shit they had going on in WOW.

I'd hope they have dungeons and stuff though.

Mandarr

Staff member
I signed up for their news letter and stuff so hopefully they'll be saying stuff about that soon enough.

Marvin_TM

Staff member
Bastard, beat me to it.

LUCASARTS AND BIOWARE
REVEAL STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC

OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO – LucasArts and BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players’ actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our company’s interactive storytelling heritage," said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. "For a long time, we’ve long wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare."

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe."

Added Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Co-Founder and Vice President Development Operations, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts Inc., "Star Wars: The Old Republic is set roughly 300 years after the events of Knights of the Old Republic, a timeframe that is completely unexplored in the lore. BioWare has been able to add to the Star Wars history in developing the game’s story and has created an overarching narrative that players can enjoy, regardless of their play style. Our goal is to offer players an emotionally rewarding experience that combines the traditional elements of MMO gameplay with innovations in story and character development."

Additional details on Star Wars: The Old Republic features, gameplay and release date will be announced at a later time. For more information about Star Wars: The Old Republic and to sign up for future product updates, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com.

Error

Staff member
Those people over on those forums are the biggest bunch of crybabies I've seen.

I've been posting over there for a couple days now and all they do is cry and whine about shit and the damn game isnt even in beta stage yet..

Mandarr

Staff member
Yeah I know lol. I haven't posted there, but I read alot of people complaining about stuff, especially the graphics lol. I think they look pretty good myself. From what I've read on interviews on other websites, it's not going to be like SWG.

Error

Staff member
It's most likely best for them if they don't try to recreate SWG because the game had many faults although it was fun for awhile. It had some cool features but they neglected the players as far as content goes.

It would be cool if they took some of the SWG features and added them to the game but I for one would rather not see the trailer parks scattered all around the terrain like there was in SWG. I liked player houseing but the way they allowed it was a big too messy, they should have just allowed houses in certain zones.

I'm assuming the game will be more along the lines of Warhammer since the Bioware guys talk to the Warhammer guys about these things but I'm sure it will have it's own feel.

I think the graphics are fine as well, sure they look cartoony but the devs are doing that so you don't get an out dated feel with them and it also halps limit the instancing with in the game. Less of a load on the video the more seamless of a game we get and I welcome the sandbox feel regardless of graphics.

Mandarr

Staff member
Yeah if they do housing I would hope for an instance type apartment in a main city and same thing for guild housing. Most of the towns in SWG turned into ghost towns when player cities were set up. Even those player cities turned into ghost towns after awhile too.

I've seen them say that it's not going to be a "day in the life of Star Wars" game. So I'm not sure on how crafting and such will be implemented. I just hope they make it worthwhile (crafting) and hopefully make it so they make the best stuff in the game instead of getting loot drops.

As long as it's fun I'll definately be playing though.

Mandarr

Staff member
Well I was just reading some news threads on the old republic website and saw that they are looking at having crafting and that they want it to be more than just find an object and another object and viola you have crafted something. So that's good news!

Error

Staff member
I don't agree with players crafting the best items in the game. I think they should craft very comparable items but you're asking for the game to fail if they make crafted items the best in the game because people will have nothing to do.

I want a better crafting system than what we see in a game like WoW but I'd rather it not be the same as SWG offered. I'd prefer to go out and build up items because it gives you something to do in the game but I don't want to see any sort of Warcraft raiding style, maybe scaled dungeons but 3 hour 25 man raids 3-4days a week I don't want.

I also don't like players being in complete control of the economy because they're idiots. Items were priced for millions and millions of credits so the new guy in the game couldnt afford jack shit so he quit, I'd rather not see that.

No economy will be perfect so I wouldnt expect that but a world of craftwars game wouldnt be much help in keeping people paying.

Mandarr

Staff member
I see what you're saying. At least they should make crafting worthwhile. And I certainly don't want to see a bunch of 25 - 40 man 3+ hour raids in the game. I was never into that in wow. I don't want to have to commit myself to that length of time on things if I don't want to. You know the econemy in the game will be overpriced no matter what they do since most people are greedy fucking bastards in these games.

Even in warhammer the crafting supples sell for outrageous ammounts of gold while the finished product barely sells for anything. Thus I have 5 characters I'm playing just to support each other so I don't have to waste gold on greedy players.

Error

Staff member
Yeah the economy will be a pain no matter what the game is but SWG had inflation like we've never seen before. Even the most basic of items would cost a freaking fortune.

I was fully capable of buying the things I needed but there were alot of people who just sat around the cantina and bitched about being broke, not having the 88k credits to buy armor or begging me to buy them shit.

When you put a bunch of idiots in charge of a pretty powerful economic system it eventually leads to a mess, 15-18 year olds being capable of influencing an economy is just bad.

Mandarr

Staff member
The so called "adults" of the game were also to blame. I'd read that there was a massive credit dupe by most players, that's how they got their millions of credits and thus were charging shitloads for items. That wasn't fair to the rest of us who played the game honestly though. I never had more than probably 10 to 15 million credits on all three of my characters. And that was mostly earned the hard way with selling shit for bio engineering and doing missions. Some of it was made through selling harvesing stuff, but not much. Then again I may not even have broken the 10 million mark actually.

Error

Staff member
The banned players who were duping and was one of the main reasons that adv guild fell so hard, many of them were duping credits and after SOE found out they werent playing anymore.

Ethakk

Staff member
Dude, inflation was high because there was a constant stream of money that wasn't based on random drops; duping was bad for awhile yeah but it wasn't to blame. You could make a million credits leveling one row of combat xp worth of quenkers, hell you got 22,000 credits off of them and had to go less than a thousand yards out of the outpost. For people being broke yeah it was annoying but realistically for basic stuff it wasn't difficult even with high prices to get out of it with far less effort than what it takes in an economy like WoW.

Like Dragonetti for example he never had any money but wouldn't put up even the slightest effort to get it. He could have farmed a half a million credits in a couple of hours of half assed effort with an 80,000 credit suit of Ubese armor and a mediocre FWG5 or Dx9 or whatever the hell those acid pistols were. Or, he could have gotten in on any one of those resource orders he could have borrowed harvesters from any of us really; how many of us didn't have two dozen or more heavy mineral harvesters? He also could have used the old outdated ones I had laying around to gather himself up the materials piecemeal to get his own made or failing that I would have just bought him some so he could take care of himself. If I sold two hundred thousand of some kind of resources at the bargain basement price of 3cpu that's 600,000 credits and what a half hour worth of "work?" Even at retarded inflationary prices 600,000 credits would keep you in armor, weapons and air cake for awhile. Ultimately people too lazy to help themselves aren't helping or hindering the economy no matter what type it is.

Besides which even closed economy systems like WoW have ultimately ended up with limited consistancy with repeatable quests simply because the economy was so screwed to begin with 5,000 gold lightsaber? lol.

In the end I'd rather have rampant inflation that at least I could do something about than something like WoW where stuff was going for a thousand gold and prior to repeatable quests baring a good run through BWL or something or a swarm of saleables it was all luck based.

As for raiding, I don't want weekly farming like WoW had and not for any of the many and varied reasons Mandarr has what with his extensive exerpience. However instances for basic gear and what not would be fun. In the end though I think having "comparable" gear to craftable stuff would be good to get from instances but I think perhaps having a higher reliance on looted items for the best crafted items would work better like the Acklay bones and what not; I'd rather have room to manuever in a screwed economy than not.

p.s. Mandarr sucks.

Top Bottom