Sonofa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, she looks great, but runs like a Pinto! BIOS Beeps and LED indicate CPU problem. Removed motherboard, heatsink, cleaned processor, no damage, reseated processor, reapplied thermal grease, reattached heatsink, put all components back together, same response. Removed AGP card, put a known good stick of RAM in and still same response.

I haven't tried clearing CMOS or forcing 100MHz FSB yet, but if any of you guys have any other suggestions, they would sho' be 'preciated. PSU isn't an issue. Antec 430W True Power.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton (Retail)
Motherboard: MSI K7N2G-ILSR (MS-6570)
Memory: Corsair TWINX512-3200LLPT 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory
Video: PNY GeForce MX 440

I am starting to think the CPU might be defective.

Busted [COG]

Do you have another athlon to stick in there to see if will boot?
How about a Bios flash to recognize the 333fsb of the barton or is the board supposed to be 333ready?

Maybe these have nothing to do with the problem, but im just trying to help.

Maybe i will turn my webcam on so you can watch me surf the web, would that help?

LOL, luckily I have my other computer hooked up to the Internet. Thanks for the offer though.

I thought about the BIOS flash, but how would I go about doing that when I can't even get a drive prompt? I have the Athlon 1800 in this machine, but I would rather not remove it since it is working fine. I hate to risk having two damaged processors...

I have already applied for an RMA number from GoogleGear, so if I can't fix it by the time they send me a number I will just send it back and get a new CPU. Thanks for the help man.

CPU-less in Dallas [COG]

Error

Staff member
You didnt get any thermal grease on any of the cpu resistors did you?

If I'm understanding correctly then your saying you get bios beep codes saying your cpu is the problem, correct? Are you sure it's indicating the CPU as the problem? Try taking the cpu out and turn your pc on and see what happens from there,if you get that same beep code then there might be a problem with the processor...

The Beep Code indicates CPU, Memory or Video Card. There is a Diagnostic LED that came with the motherboard specifically implicating the CPU as the problem.

Not sure what the CPU resistors are, but if they are the silver rectangles on top of the processor, they are clear of any grease. I have posted this on several forums, so hopefully someone will have had the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions E-dog!

Scudd

Mandarr

Staff member
Are you using any cpu heat sensor with your heatsink fan? I tried using mine with my thermaltake and everytime I put it in where I assumed it is supposed to be placed it wouldn't boot up my computer at all. Removed the sensor and it boots up fine.

The only sensor I have attached is on the side of the heatsink. I opted for the adjustable speed over the sensor. I wasn't too sure about putting anything between the processor and the socket. I am just going to return the CPU to GoogleGear and see if a new one fixes my problems.

Error

Staff member
http://www.amdmb.com will pretty much have an answer to your problem...There are a ton of members with alot of experience on computing and boards for alot of different hardware(even a board for your mobo)...

I'd post my problem on their forums and you'll get plenty of replies in a decent ammount of time...

Yeah I posted there and got a few reponses. Everyone says that I have tried everything and to return the processor. I guess I will be slipping my video card back in this machine so I can still game. Hopefully the return process won't take too long!

Scudd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom