WoW Class Roles

I found this post by Caydiem, one of the WoW Devs, about the roles of each class. I thought I'd post it here, to help those of you that are still unsure as to which classes you's like to play.

There had been much debate on the Beta forums as to what each class's roles were. Who is the tank? Who is the master of crowd control (CC)? Who are the healers? Well, the way I see it, there is no answer. Many different classes are good at many different things. I like this, as it provides a bit of diversity to each class, and makes playing each class more than one dimmensional. The fact that there are so many talents to choose from (and the fact that you can't choose all of them) makes each class even more unique. Well, here is what Caydiem had to say...

Many of you have asked about your role in groups. I'd like to address that question today. The developers have attempted to make as few rock-hard “roles” as possible; all classes should complement each other. A priest is not just a “heal-bot”. When there are classes that can tank and classes that can heal, however, role definition does appear in some form. Please don’t take this post as the One True Way to Play. Explore all the abilities open to your class. Experiment with different class combinations in groups. We’re not telling you how to play the game – one of the fascinating practices of this genre is the ingenuity exercised by the players every day!

Druid
The Druid has three potential roles in a group. When in their normal, biped form, they act well as a healer and can give support in the form of buffs and debuffs; they also have limited crowd control against dragons. Their Bear form gives them offensive and defensive power enough to step up to a monster and take the hits (we’re looking into aggro management for the form). In Cat form, the Druid becomes a damage dealer. This trio of roles in one class gives the Druid a diverse feel and allows them to perform nearly any role perceived as “needed” in a party.

Hunter
The Hunter is a vicious damage dealer. With their ability to pull extremely well and hit monsters hard from far away, they certainly help take down monsters more quickly. Their pets add to the damage count and can aid somewhat in managing monster aggro. The variety of traps allows the Hunter to control crowds to an extent, as well. The combination of their extreme range, decent damage, and trap capability, Hunters are the perfect pullers for any group.

Mage
When seeking someone to introduce monsters to a world of pain, the Mage is a good choice. With their elemental and arcane attacks, it’s a safe bet something they can do won’t be resisted by your chosen enemy. Damage is the name of the Mage game, and they do it well. Their arsenal includes some powerful crowd control spells, also, giving them the ability to keep hordes at bay -- in fact, these abilities can be used on the most common creatures in the game, thus making them extremely valuable for this purpose.

Paladin
Paladins are the consummate knights in shining armor, meant to be in the thick of things. Their defensive abilities allow them to stand toe to toe with monsters and take a beating – they are tanks overall. This is not the sole purpose of a Paladin, of course; their auras, seals, heals and rez give them the chance to act as a support healer. (Keep in mind that the Paladin will be seeing much love in the form of Talents and other improvements soon – the above is the spirit behind the Paladin.)

Priest
With their dedication to their faith, the Priests of Azeroth mend and defend their fellow man. Healing and support is most assuredly the Priest’s main draw. Additionally, they have crowd control abilities against the Undead that can save lives. Their Shadow powers are not to be ignored, though; a Shadow-specialized Priest can cause considerable damage if played well.

Rogue
The stealthy Rogue is an up-close damage dealer. Like the Mage, they can rip through mobs quickly and brutally using their wide range of combination moves. They are also worthy scouts, being able to sneak past monsters if they are skilled enough to see what lies beyond. And there’s no one better than a Rogue at the end of a dungeon when a locked chest or door stands between you and hard-earned riches.

Shaman
The old phrase “jack of all trades, master of none” is an excellent way to describe the Shaman; they are the only real “hybrid” class in World of Warcraft. While they do not excel at any one aspect of their repertoire, they function passing well when performing most tasked called upon by a party. Need a support healer? Looking for a secondary tank? After another damage-dealer? Have an empty slot that needs someone to support the group in general? The Shaman can provide. They have a number of utility spells as well that help make life easier for any party.

Warlock
Warlocks have both powerful damage spells (primarily dealing over time) and debuff spells that work well in conjunction with each other and with the abilities of their groupmates. They have Curses for many occasions; in fact, they can easily be considered the best debuffers in the game. Their pets, too, help with the damage dealing and grant the Warlock extra abilities to put to use. They can also control crowds well with Seduction and Banish, and provide limited support in the form of their summoned stones.

Warrior
The Warrior can be a defensive, shielded tank, a damage-dealing powerhouse, or a mixture of the two. Their abilities obviously pertain to the art of close combat; their stances carry with them different moves for different situations and party setups. All in all, the Warrior is one of the prime candidates to capture and hold the attention of creatures while they die to sword and spell.

Please keep in mind that there is not meant to be one "master" of any role. In a game with this many classes, our goal is to make the classes roughly equal in efficiency when filling the roles they're meant to fill, though the gameplay experience may vary between classes. Tanks are not meant to be carbon copies of each other, for example; they should all fill that role efficiently, however, enough so that they are viable and wanted in groups for that role. Each crowd control class should be able to manage small groups at times; they may simply be more effective in certain situations. We are aware that some classes do not currently fill the roles given to them; the development team is hard at work bringing them closer to their planned purpose.

(I have also started a thread in each Class Forum with the appropriate role information. If you'd like to give the developers feedback on your specific class, do so there, too! :) )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Caydiem -
Assistant Community Manager, WoW

Lol, that's one of those Pointman terms. I think there is a spreadsheet on the ftp that breaks it all down.

Haha... ass. I didn't make that one up, though I'd love to make a spreadsheet for you if you really want one!

No, really... Crowd control is, well, crowd control. It's spells that have an effect on your enemy's movement. Examples are:

<hr>
Fear (Warlocks) -- Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to run in fear for up to X seconds. Only 1 target can be feared at a time.

Banish (Warlock) -- Banishes the deamon enemy target, preventing all action but making it invulnerable for up to X seconds. Only one target can be banished at a time.

Curse of Exhaustion (Warlock) -- Reduces the target's speed to X% of normal for Y seconds. Only one Curse per Warlock can be active on any one target.

Entangling Roots (Druid) -- Roots the target in place and causes nature damage over X sec. Only usable outdoors. The target has a chance to break free every few seconds and whenever it is attacked.

Polymorph (Mage) -- Transforms the enemy into a sheep, forcing it to wander around for up to X seconds. While wandering, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells, but will regenerate very quickly. Any damage will transform the target back into its normal form. Only one target can be polymorphed at a time. Only works on Beasts, Dragons, Giants, Humanoids, and Critters.

Frost Bolt (Mage) -- Launches a bolt of frost at the enemy, causing frost damage and slowing movement speed for X seconds.

Frost Nova (Mage) -- Blasts enemies near the caster for cold damage and freezes them in place for up to X seconds.
<hr>

Those are just a few examples, but I think they give you an idea. In most cases, there are more than one level of each spell, usually increasing the time of its effect and/or the damage it does.

I laughed at the sheep spell when I first got it. After seeing how handy it is at the higher levels, it is one of the things I use most in the big groups. To further explain crowd control, let's say there is a group of three: Warrior A, Mage B and Mage C.

Warrior A pulls a creature, but two other creatures come along for the ride. Mage B sheeps (polymorphs) the first creature that decided to tag along, and Mage C does the same to the second that decided to tag along while Warrior A beats on the original creature.

Now instead of facing 3 creatures all at once, everyone can focus on the original pull while the other two wander around as sheep for 30 seconds. If you haven't killed the original creature in the 30 seconds, then you re-sheep and keep fighting. Rinse and repeat until all three are dead.

Yep, that's pretty much the strategy there. Fear works very similar to polymorh, only it adds a level of danger... When something is feared, then basically run away, then they run around in cirlces and what not. If they have any friends nearby, and they run near them, they will cause thier friends to join the fight. As you can see, that can cause some big trouble, especially if you're out soloing. One tactic I am going to get/use is Curse of Exhaustion. Using this un conjuction with Fear will let me fear something, but slow it down so much that it won't get too far away.

That brings up another catch phrase you guys will hear often... snare. A snare spell is basically a spell that slows the target down, keeping them from either getting away, or if you are running from them, kepping them from catching you.

As I hinted to in the 1st post, there are a lot of classes that have their own type of CC and snares, and they are usually unique in some way. For example, Fear does not work on Undead, they are immune to it. Banish only works on deamons (i.e. certain MOBs and other Warlock pets in PvP).

Originally, Warlocks had a ton of CC spells, and were expected to be the "CC Masters" in WoW. That was one reason I liked them, as that's pretty much what Carbineer was in SWG. Basically, a Warlock is a Carbineer/Creature Handler with a few other tricks up their sleeves. Medium damage, pets (deamons), and good CC. But, since the stress test, much of the CC has been nurfed across the board, and now many classes are all equally good at many things. I still like the Warlock class, and I still intend to start out with one (though I still can't decide between a Gnome or a Human). Hopefully you will all find a class that you enjoy to play, and will have fun with it. I can't wait till we all get together to do our 1st instanced dungeon, or our 1st big hunt/quest to kill a big elite 5+ levels above us. It's gonna be a blast.

You're all dorks! You would never have this conversation in a crowded restaurant!!!!:chimp3:

/target Point /cheer spreadsheets

/target Grend /whap. I so would have this convo in a crowded restaurant...if we were all able to get together for lunch/dinner ever.

/grin

Originally posted by Grendel
You're all dorks! You would never have this conversation in a crowded restaurant!!!!:chimp3:

Oh, ok, so now that we use terms such as "crowd control" and "snare" and "spell" we're not as cool as we were when we used terms such as "warning shot" and "suppression fire" and "knockdown" huh? HAHA! I see how it is!

If I were in said restaurant with my fellow dorks, and the topic of WoW was brought up, I sure would have this conversation. Sure, it wouldn't be the only thing talked about, but it could very well be part of the conersation. :p

At least we're not <a href="http://www.heavy.com/index.php?videoPath=/content/contagious/flash_video/LightingBolt" target="_blank">THESE</a> guys. I'm not sure these guys have ever been in any public area, let alone a crowded restaurant!

Lightening Bolt [COG]

LMAO!!!! Those guys are so bad that they got fired from the Renaissance Faire.

Huzza! [COG]

Is that when Scott Peterson got on teamspeak?

Error

Staff member
No that way the my truck slides around on the roads when someone spills a cup af water conversation...

Originally posted by Grendel
Is that when Scott Peterson got on teamspeak?

Man when I read that I pictured that Miller Lite referee hitting you in the head with a flag! "We've got an insensitive remark call on Grendel. Making fun of a dead pregnant woman and her unborn child. Still first down."

PLAY BEER! [COG]

LMAO@ "Still 1st Down"

Wait, what's this? Seems there's a red flag on the field...

"After further review, there is no evidence that Scott didn't kill his wife, the result of the play is a life imprisonment and loss of insurance money. Play beer!"

Top Bottom