XP Tip - Send To feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add Entries to your "Send To" List
From www.winxpnews.com:

Windows XP has a cool little feature called "Send to" that you can access by right clicking on a file. By default, the Send To menu allows you to send the file to a Compressed Folder, your Desktop, a mail recipient, the My Documents folder, a floppy disk, or a CD drive. It's easy to add more options to this list. Here's how:

Click the Start button, and then click the Run command.
In the Run dialog box, type sendto in the Open text box. Click OK.
Create a shortcut and add that shortcut to the Sendto folder. You can add a shortcut using one of a couple of methods, including:
* Drag-and-drop using the right mouse button, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
* Right click on the location, then click Create Shortcut.
* Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.
For example, open the My Computer applet. Right click on a drive letter and click Copy. Now right click on an empty space in the Sendto folder and click Paste Shortcut.
The new entry will show up on the Send To menu immediately. You don't need to restart.

That's a pretty cool tip bro. Good lookin' out! Now, if only I could create a "Send to hell" link and be able to send irritating people there just by right clicking on them.

LOL, I would settle for a Universal remote that could mute people. The new version of TS2 is getting us one step closer though...

I can't hear you now [COG]

Ya, I use the send to function a lot. The easiest way to get this done is to place a shortcut of your 'send to' folder inside of your send to folder.....read it again slowly - it makes sense. Then all you have to do with any shortcut that you want sent to your send to folder is right click it and send it to 'send to'. You can also place shortcuts of applications in your send to folder. For example, I have a shortcut of dreamweaver in my send to folder. I use it to open *.txt, *.html, *.xml, etc... This is helpful if you want to open a file in an application other than default application because you don't have to mess with the 'open with' function, you don't have to open dreamweaver and then open the desired file and you never have to worry about accidentally changing file associations. Just be careful not to put too many shortcuts in your send to folder becuase cut, copy, paste, rename, properties, etc... options are all below 'send to' and if you have too many shortcuts in there it may cause system pauses as you pass 'send to' on your way to any of these other functions.

I'm sure it works with Windows 98 & 2000 as well.

For Windows 2000, go to this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\SendTo

For Windows 98, go to this folder:
C:\Windows\SendTo

I've added some shortcuts in my Windows (both 98 & 2000).

You are absolutely correct Wiwi. I use the send to feature a lot at work as well and we are running NT 4.1. I also used to use it back on NT 3.5 too, so it isn't just an XP trick...
:dance2:

Corrections:

For Windows 2000, go to this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\SendTo

I hate the fact that you can't put a text inside a smaller and/or greater sign.

The tip wasn't trying to teach you old and busted users how to use your dusty banged up operating systems! It's all about the XP Send to crackheads!

Does anyone know if I can download a patch to get the Send to feature on Windows 3.1?:D

Right click-->Send Grendel to-->Recycle Bin [COG]

Note: The next tip will be titled "XP Tip - WARNING: This tip might pertain to previous versions of Windows."

:D:DScudd:D:D

Well, sorry Scudd, but if it were an actual 'XP' tip and it weren't as old as the first windows operating system it would have been pretty good. The disclaimer is a good idea but a better idea would be to put actual 'XP' tips. :moon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom