AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one in my pc now, but it doesnt want to run at full speed (1.66GHz), anyone know why it locks up and wont start up in winXP when its at full speed, works fine limited to 1.25, but I want full speed. Its in a ECS K7S5A Pro.

I had the same problem. My mobo's default SW1 switch is set to force 100MHz FSB which didn't allow my chip to to run at it's full speed. I have an Athlon XP 2400 and it was only showing up as an 1800+.

If you are adjusting your max speed using an overclocking utility then that's why Windows won't boot. If your mobo is forcing the lower FSB then you are actually over-over-over-clocking. Check your mobo settings.

I hate my CMOS set to 133, which showed it as the 2000+, but right now I have it at 100 because it froze up on me and wouldnt load at 133. or did you mean something else?

Also, I am having probs getting my CD-R/W drive to work with XP, worked fine with 98, but doesnt want to work in XP. Sometimes it doesnt show in the burner software, sometimes it says the CD/s are unwrite-able, any ideas? I have some generic shit or somethin, 52/24/52.

Mine was the same way (using EZ CD Creator), and I had to download an upgrade from their website. What software are you using?

Error

Staff member
Something is seriously wrong if your cpu wont boot up with 133 fsb,only thing I can think is your board not being able to support that ,but then again why would you have the 133 option if it didnt...

Maybe you are turning the fsb to 133 in the bios which you shouldnt do unless you were overclocking,if you have a jumper on your board to switch from 100 to 133 then change that...

My board has a switch that I can turn on for 100 and off for 133. If I have my bios set at 133 and the switch on the board is set at 100 then it won't boot.

I found out that it wouldnt boot because the CPU was overheating, so now I got that fixed, now I must get the CD-R/W drive to work, I have a fresh install of XP now, I was using Nero, think I will continue to use it also. Hopefully it will work this time.

Error

Staff member
I have a cd-rw that isnt compatiable with XP so I had to get a new one,I'd find that compatability list and see if it's supported by XP...

Well, why was it overheating? Mine wouldn't boot because the board was set at 100MHz and the bios was set to 133MHz and it was just an unstable configuration but it didn't actually overheat.

Error

Staff member
I think he told me that his CPU fan was plugged in to the wrong place and his processor temp was running at 70 so his board must have a thermal shutdown temp thats lower than 70...The Intel and AMD shutdown mark is 80 but some mobos have the shutdown temp set lower so your processor will never reach that temp...

70 celcius is freaking HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom