City Quest..

The only problem I see is the number of declared residents needed for a shuttleport. If Grend and Q keep adding accounts at this rate, we might have enough by mid next year though.

Ethakk

Staff member
Exactly how many residents are needed for: A bank, a Shuttleport, a med center, a cantina.......:huh:

Here are a few Qs and As from the thread at http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Politician&message.id=476. I selected a few I thought were relevent to some of the questions many of you, as well as myself, have.
Q: What are the population and radius sizes of the different ranked cities?
A:The sizes, in order, are:

Outpost - 5 citizens - 150m
Village - 15 citizens - 200m
Township - 30 citizens - 300m
City - 50 citizens - 400m
Metropolis - 80 citizens - 450m

Q: What city rank is allowed to have a shuttle?
A: Rank IV, or 50 citizens

Q: What if someone beats us to planting a city in our area?
A: Run for election

Q: Can a banned citizen vote?
A: Yes. City Hall is the only building that a /banned citizen will be allowed to enter so that they may access the voting terminal.

Q: Does a mayor need home in the town they are mayor of?
A: No, the city hall is considered their declared residence.

Q: How much experience per vote does a politician receive?
A: 100 exp per vote.

Q: What planets can cities be built upon?
A: Corellia, Dantooine, Lok, Naboo, Rori, Talus & Tatooine.

Q: Do I have to use generic houses to build on Lok, Rori, Dantooine, or Talus?
A: No. Tatooine houses will now work on Lok and Dantooine. Naboo houses on Rori and Dantooine, and Corellian houses on Talus. The new city structures have the same planetary placement abilities.

Q: Do civic structures take up the politician's lots?
A: No. Civic structures are associated with the city, not the mayor.

Q: Can the mayor put vendors in City Hall?
A: Yes. Until tonight I had a vendor next to the voting terminal with voting information.

Q: Can the mayor take money from the treasury?
A: Once a day, and only up to 50k. An email also goes out to all citizens telling them that the mayor has done so.

Ethakk

Staff member
In the Event that you guys wanted to join a city, perhaps we could just move our guild to another Imperial city at some point, for a 20+ people (resident) boost all at one time I bet they would listen to anything we had to say :stooge:

Originally posted by Ethakk
In the Event that you guys wanted to join a city, perhaps we could just move our guild to another Imperial city at some point, for a 20+ people (resident) boost all at one time I bet they would listen to anything we had to say :stooge:

Mandarr mentioned that Ice Bay had a nice little town going, so I went out there to check it out. They had 18 citizens and 28 structures. Tova, the mayor, said that some of the extra 10 structures were wharehouses, and the others were people's homes that were not in the city radius yet. I threw out the idea of COG joining their city and they were pretty reluctant to let us. I said I was just "feeling the water" and still had to discuss the matter will the rest of you guys and gal. She wanted to have some sort of sit down to go over a few things. I can tell they are afraid of another group moving in and the trying to run for mayor (just like we are if we build a city). I told her that she didn't have a problem with us trying that, that we'd rather not waste skill points on politition anyways. She also said she is pretty anal when it comes to placement of structures. You can tell by the neatness and organization they have out there.

So, what do you guys and gal think? Is it worth moving out there for a shuttle, bank, etc? Are you willing to have to follow her "building codes?" These guys worked hard since day one planning thier city and seem reluctant to let anyone in. If they do let us in, would you feel welcome? If not, would you want to live somewhere you do not feel welcome? That was the hardest part for me to decide.

I'm gonna be in the computer lab most of today, but might have some time tonight to get on. Maybe we can talk about some of this stuff then.

Error

Staff member
I wouldnt mind moving there just as long as we dont get taxed out of the ass or something...I dont really know much about it but I thing it would be cool to be part of a player city...

I think it would be pretty good as well, but how are they going to feel about us having a trading outpost so close to the ICE Bay Mall?

I'm still currently reading alot into player cities; my initial thoughts - 'it would be cool' and being a 'gamer' I want to do this; but I like to be pestamistic too and say 'are the benefits really worth it or is this another money sink???'

If any PA wants to sustain a glorious city there must be a lot of trust through friendship and teamwork. 55 for a level 4 city and 85 for a level 5 city is ALOT of ppl in SWG; I dont' believe there are any PA's even close to those numbers in Gorath even though some ppl claim it. A PA will have to recruit players outside their own PA's in order to establish a healthy population because like McDonalds I'd expect alot of turnaround in people.

From what I've read so far.. there are only a couple benefits to a city to me. First, close knit society within a city can help establish new relationship with others in the game opening up potential oppurtinities between two parties with mutual goals. Second, the City "speciality" bonuses. Some of the specialites sound good more so with a Master Politician having the abiliity to place a specialty that duels two other specialties at once. Specialties downside to me is that they tend to be crafter or fighter-centric. The city will either benefit artisan class type players or fighters at any one given time. Why would a crafter stay in a city and do his/her crafting and not get bonuses and why would a fighter get missions from a city that does not have a 20% bonus to them? kinda forms a seperation intead of City uniqueness that this design was meant for. I think that the major hub of population will tend to migrate to artisan based cities while all others are going to be more or less sattelite cities as jump nodes. Artisan-based cities will be hubs of commerce and trade -- artisans by nature don't move alot so fighters will tend to migrate to the merchants. that's just my take on things.

PA's establishing cities right now want a 'shuttle port'; it's great for traveling within city to city but it's not planetary!!! Hmm... I need to get to another planet - I live in a city... I have to PAY to fly to a major city then pay and wait again just to get to another planet.. more money and time.

As much as I seem down on cities I'm not.. the artisan specialty sounds like a hoot to me but not to non-crafters I'm sure. The city society and ppl could really open up new friendships that could be long term and being in a city just seems 'damn cool' if you gotz the credits baby!!!

Qman

I think we should just drop a city hall down right where we are at once they lift the cap. Then we can play around with all of the features and figure the city out. After we have an idea about whether or not it is something we are truly interested in, then we can scout out an area and drop our real city hall. I know that we lose the city hall once we place it, but I don't know about the other city structures. Either way, it doesn't really matter as long as we are having fun. I just have the furniture column left and then I will be a Master Architect, so we can make whatever structures we want. If the aren't re-deedable, then so be it!

If that idea sucks, then we can just do it right the first time and move out to a more remote area and go from there.

Scudd

I just read on the official advanced guid to cities (the link Q posted) that all civic structures CAN be re-deeded EXCEPT for City Hall. But, if you destroy City Hall without re-deeding them first, they will be destroyed also.

Mandarr

Staff member
After discussing this a little further with Ethakk after he'd told me about your post Pointman and Tova's reluctance to "allow" us into "their" city. I must say that yes, perhaps I would always feel like an outsider when people act like that. I've scouted out the far left side of the map of Naboo where the boundary ends up the side of a mountain range. It's pretty flat out there. Not as many bumps in the ground as there are around our area now. There are also some mini forests if you want to call them that, with some trees that would add some natural parks to a city and just break up the usuall building, building, building, bla bla bla heh. I do like the way Ice Bay has laid out their city though. How they have no harvestors in their area and the factories are all lined up in one industrial type of area. Then it seems they have a residential area. Perhaps near their City Hall they'll have a downtown type area with nice big buildings and stuff to look at.
Mabye they even have a business district where the vendors will all be located to sell their goods. It would be very cool to do something just like that with our own city. I'd like to see like minded people like us move into our city though and have it grow to the biggest city we possibly can have. :) Perhaps we could have like a city council in our city if we have more than one guild there and have say one or two representatives from each guild vote on any major changes anyone would want to propose. That way nobody would ever feel unwelcome in the community as they'd realize that we will listen to their ideas and share our ideas with them as well. We can even have questions from the citizens to the City Council type of thing every week as well so that those that aren't on the council can also have their oppinions heard by all.
The people that work together the best will have the largest and best city anyone would want to live in. We'd be sure to clear out any of the troublemaker types right away if we have a city security force that enforces the codes that we can all write into city law. :) Perhaps an offical laws of the city can be posted on a new city website with a city forums as well. We could even discuss different changes and ideas on that website as well so that way those that couldn't "attend" a town council type meeting could also have their views shared with the community.
I know we are capable of creating the city everyone will want to be a part of because of course, "we are the elite". :) It would be great to see many businesses in the city as well to compete with our own businesses. That creates more taxes for our city as well if we had a small income based tax on vendors. I just don't understand how Tova and her group thinks they will have a shuttleport or anything else if they don't want people to move into their city to generate more revenue for expenses to maintain the city.
We may not have had the first city on Naboo, but we sure could eventually have the best. The one everyone will talk about and want to be a part of. That area over there is prime area from what I can tell. It's just a fast kaadu ride over to the Theed Starport and soon just an even faster speederbike or landspeeder cruise. The idea about having a city council type thing will allow those of us who don't really want to spend the points into pollitician can share their thoughts with all of us as well. Hell even if we lost our "mayorship" with Lock or Dragonetti the mayor elect would know the laws of the city and how the city council voting would work first on any major changes. The Mayor would have to have some type of veto thing though I would guses if he/she didn't approve of the change. Then if we don't like the way the Mayor handled the change we can always vote them out next week lol. Perhaps the guilds in the city themselves could of course vote for their representatives for the city council every week so that all of their members have a chance to sit at the big peoples table lol. Hell we could even have city wide elcetions for diffferent instances that would call for one if the polling booths are actually working correctly.
Like Quasabi had mentioned above, it will take collaberation between like minded guilds to have the best player city available. There are of course the types that I wouldn't want to see come to reside in our community such as the Fugly's and the other trolls there are and any Rebels of course no matter how they act. But again we would have a code of city laws that will need to be enforced in all the guilds. The militia should even be members from each guild as well and if any major quarelling between players in the city should occur we could have a town meeting to help them resolve their differences so that we can all continue to get along in one great big community.
I would of course expect our city to be Imperial since we are, therefore our city should be Imperial and that's how it should be defended lol. We could eventually have an Imperial base right next to City Hall if that's where the community would want it to be placed. With cooperation between ourselves and others we can make this work! :)

-I'm going to cast my vote for Troy right now!-COG :troy:

The biggest problem I see with cities and haveing more than one PA represented is the fact that only the mayor has power in the city. Just like ICE, if we built a city and put all the hard work into designing and constructing it, I would hate to have some other PA come in and take over the mayor position and control OUR city. Maybe we should only let others with no guild affiliation join?

Ethakk

Staff member
It doesn't necessarily matter whether or not they are a guild or individual people, the mayor (presumably Scud?) would still have to grant each individual person building rights and hence citizenship. So basically all we would have to do is make sure that we are never outnumbered at least in the short term, and in that perhaps we should look at other citizens that are likely to be stable players ie. not joining a different city every week.

Top Bottom