Found this on AGE 3 forums

Marvin_TM

Staff member
Hello,
Because i had the famous "Failed to join" error since the new patch, i decided to search what could cause the error.
As a network engineer, it is not difficult for me to see what is happening when we try to join or host a game.
Using a network analyser,here is what I have found : (after 8 hours of tests)

-1- All the problems are coming from the ESO Online system, and not from the game itself.

-2- ESO Forgot to give us all the ports used by their servers.
After analysing different games, anyone with an analyser will find that theses ports are used :

TCP/IP :
2300-2400
13000-16000
50000-65000
ICMP : yes

-3- When someone is hosting a game, if a new player is joining with a bad configuration, all the players will drop, including the host!

-4- Bad configuration are : all needed ports not opened or/and ping not authorized and blocked.

For example, in your router configuration, you have to open ICMP traffic witch will allow other players to see your router. (and hackers too of course)
When configuring your firewall and router, you will have to authorize the needed ports in your firewall AND configure the ports in the NAT. (You need to verify if your router will forward the paquets, all routers doesn't do that)

With these modifications I was able to play some games but the problem is :

If a player with a "bad configuration player" join your game, you will drop. (Unable to join error)
If you are waiting a game to start, and if a "bad configuration" player join the game, you will drop too.(Unable to join error)

Analysing the paquets, i have discovered that if it is not possible to send some ICMP paquet to someone (Ping), the game will be cancel for everybody.

This is a huge problem if we want to play.
The problem "Unable to join" is not only for router players but for all players.

I am very disapointed by this game because i used to play age II during 7 years on the Zone.com with no problem.
I have tested AOM and stop playing it (like so many players) because of the ESO online system.
Please ESO, let us play this game with www.zone.com system witch is working very well and don't try to create something new, you are not able to do that. (after 3 years, you have done nothing good)

If other players can make more tests with analysers, please, do it and send more informations to ESO. It seems that they do not have any network engineer.
And please, if there is more ports than the ones I discovered, tell us.

Thank you,
Maximus

Marvin_TM

Staff member
AGE III patch 1.03 is out

Patch 1.03 - English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patch 1.03 - Hotfix to Matchmaking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NETWORK AND ESO FIXES

- Fixed an issue where a game would be cancelled and all players given a "Failed to join" message when two routers that could not communicate joined the same game.

Patch 1.02 - Hotkeys, Large Maps and numerous bug fixes

CLIENT FIXES

New hotkey editor added to the game
New large map set.
5 new large versions of popular maps have been added.
Fixed a sound crash issue.
Fixed a bug with sound being choppy
Fixed some performance issues with boat battles.
Fixed a D3D initialization error when launching the game.
Fixed a bug where the auto-patcher text was impossible to read.
NETWORK AND ESO FIXES

Fixed an bug where disconnecting a player would lock up the game.
Switching home cities unchecks all players.
Quick search now uses the Standard Map set.
Fixed an issue where a user would get in a state that they could not host or join a game.
Fixed a number of multiplayer exploits.
New ESO privacy.
Updated a number of error and user messages.
Allow users to turn off enter/left chat messages on ESO.
New user.cfg commands to assist with router and direct IP issues.
For more assistance on this check http://forum.agecommunity.com/ibb/topics.aspx?forumID=7

Top Bottom