Help Please!!!

I believe I have a graphics related issue with RS, but I don't know exactly how to fix it. In Custom Mission mode, I can play 4/6 multiplayer maps just fine. However, the other two maps and the first mission in the campaign don't work so well. In the Oil Refinery, after insertion, me and my team will make a left and walk around the corner, then continue past the next corner so that you can view a large area of the map. That's where the game freezes or crashes and gives me an error shown below. The same occurs on the multiplayer map - The Peaks. But in that map, I was inside the cabin that is right next to the insertion zone. Both times it froze up or crashed at about ten seconds after the beginning of the mission, after I had walked around a bit. But in the refinery, I can sit at insertion for more than ten seconds and not have problems. In the multiplayer map, the Prison, I made it to a certain room. If you try Hostage Rescue in that map, it is the room where the hostages are located where the game froze up. I'm guessing the computer can't handle the larger amount of graphics displayed at one time. Computer specifications are also listed below. Does anybody know what the problem really is and how I could fix it?

It will either freeze or crash. If it crashes, RS will quit back to windows and display the following error message:

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1600 MHz with 159MB RAM
Video: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (3063)

General protection fault!

History: FD3DRenderInterface::DrawPrimitive <- FBspProjectorDrawList::Render <- FBspDrawList::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Computer Specifications:
Windows 98 SE
160 MB RAM
S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR Video Card
AMD Athlon(tm)XP 1900+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.6Ghz Processor
DirectX 9.0 Installed
VIA Sound System Play/Record Audio Devices
Plenty of space available on harddrive
I do use a CD Rewritable

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried uninstalling Raven Shield, and install it again? sometimes it helps. Other problem might be with your graphic card. How much memory does your graphic card have? The game might also not be compatible with S3 video card (I heard about incompatibility issues but that's with other games, so it might be the same problem with this).

Try sending email to Raven Shield support team. You might get a better answer :)

Hope that helps.

Error

Staff member
From the looks of the error message it appears that your graphics chip cant handle the game...

Not sure if that chip offers hardware T&L but it's a muct to run the game and from the looks of your cpu specs I wouldnt suspect anything other than the GPU...

Haven't tried reinstalling, I'll try that before I do anything else.

Graphics Card Memory - 30.5 MB

Just sent an email to RS Support.

What is Hardware T&L?

What is GPU?

So if it is the chip that can't handle the game, then would I have to replace the chip with something better? Or replace the whole video card and chip? What chip might be best to use?

Error

Staff member
Is there an actual graphics card in the machine or is it just an onboard graphics unit?

32megs of memory dosent get ya very far these days...The minimum requirements in the readme call for atleast 64 mb of ram on your video card...

Heres a link explaining what hardware T&L (hardware transform and lighting) is and what it does...

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20000717/radeon256-03.html

GPU=Graphics Processing Unit

you wouldnt want to change the GPU on a card,it's not worth it by any means...Your best bet it to buy a new card that is well known and can run most games out there...

newegg.com has plenty of video cards that are capable of running the game and you can get them at good prices...

I think Error's on the right track. I'd say it's your video card Jay. Here are the system requirements straight from the official site:
System Requirements

Minimum Requirements

Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP ONLY
800 MHz Pentium® III, AMD Athlon, or equivalent
128 MB RAM (XP users: 256 MB RAM required)
32 MB DirectX 8 compatible 3D video card with hardware T&L ***(supported chipsets listed below)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
DirectX 8.1 or higher (DX9 included on the disc)
CDROM 16x or faster (NOT recommended for use with CDRW drives)
2 GB minimum hard drive space
Windows® compatible mouse required
Internet connection for play on ubi.com (56k modem supported but not recommended)

Recommended System Specifications

Windows® XP Professional
1.3 GHz Pentium 4, AMD Athlon, or equivalent
512 MB RAM
128 MB DirectX 8.1 compatible 3D video card ***(supported chipsets listed below)
High Speed Internet connection (Cable/DSL)

Supported Video Chipsets

ATI
RADEON™ 9700 Pro
RADEON™ 9000 Pro
RADEON™ 8500LE
RADEON™ 8500
RADEON™ 7500
RADEON™ ViVO
RADEON™
RADEON™ VE

Nvidia
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
GeForce 4 Ti 4400
GeForce 4 MX 460
GeForce 4 MX 440
GeForce 3 Ti500
GeForce 3
GeForce 2 GTS
GeForce 2 MX400
GeForce 2 MX
Geforce 256 DDR
GeForce 256 SDR

I think your best bet, like Error said, would be to get a new vid card. Also, notice I highlighted in red that they do not recommend using a CD-RW. You might want to try a No-CD patch if you do not have a 16x CD-ROM drive available. Good luck bro, I hope you get everything squared away.

I'd suggest (if you want to change your video card) you to take at least 64MB for future games, so you don't end up upgrading again in a very short time.

Error

Staff member
Strange,the minimum requirements on the site say you only need a 32mb video card yet the games readme file says you need a 64mb video card...

-Minimum Configuration:
Win 98/ME/2000/XP Only
DirectX 8.1b
800 MHz Pentium III, AMD Athlon, or equivalent
128 MB RAM (XP users: 256 MB required)
64MB DirectX 8.1b compatible graphics card
DirectX 8.1b compatible sound device
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM 16x or faster (not recommended for use with CD-RW drives)
1.7 GB hard drive space
Windows-compatible mouse required

Mandarr

Staff member
Hey Jay, I've been having critical errors myself for about the last two weeks or so and I even went so far as to reinstall windows thinking perhaps it was the latest version of direct x. Then tonight I backed my overclock down on my cpu a little bit thinking perhaps that was the problem even though my system wasn't getting very hot at all. Again no luck, and all my drivers were updated. My graphics card, sound card and motherboard drivers were all up to date as well as at least direct x 9.0 and I was still crashing. Then I thought well perhaps it's my memory? I had just recieved back a 512 chip from Kingston that they had replaced for me and I'd put it in my system not too long ago. The other two 256 chips I use are some no name brand from a local computer store. Conflicting memory perhaps? Maybe my new mobo would work better with one brand of memory? I took out the two 256 chips and kept the Kingston in. I was playing for about 30 - 45 minutes with no crashes. :) My question for you is, do you have more than one brand of memory in your system? Sure a new graphics card would help alot as well, but I was seeing those same type of weird assed critical errors. My sugestion would be to update all your drivers to the current version (except for direct x 9.0a, I'm still holding out judgement on that one lol) and check your memory status. If you're using more than one chip and it IS the same brand, then perhaps try putting them in different slots. Say the first and last? I tried playing with my cd rom drive instead of my cdrw as well with no luck. I'm still not totally sold on my current luck with the game though. Not untill I can sit down and play for an hour or two and quit out of the game when I'M ready too lol. :) I haven't really seen any beneficial information from the RvS tech support on this type of situation either so good luck and hope you get to play sometime soon.

Error

Staff member
A couple assumptions here...

After talking to mandarr about this for a bit I'll assume you have a new PC with an athlon based mobo...You would happen to have the ram from your old pc in your new pc would you? If your board is up to date then I'll assume you can run DDR ram instead of the old sdram...I'm not sure here and I dont know if it's good to run sdram in a ddr based mobo but if you can get that stick to run then that might cause you some problems...

If your not runing ddr and your board supports ddr memory then it's worth a shot to get a stick and fiire her up...

Again,I dont know about any of this but you may want to get that information and see what you can do about it...

Just a thought

I'll probably try to get a new card this weekend, GeForce costs about $150 I think. That way I won't have to update that for awhile.

RS Tech Support didn't help much at all. They replied talking about the CD-Key and the internet, neither of which I don't think have anything to do with the problem.

During installation, you don't enter the CD-Key anywhere do you?
Its just when you go online is when you enter it correct?

Everything inside the computer is compatible with each other.

Where could I get a No-CD patch?

Originally posted by Jay
RS Tech Support didn't help much at all. They replied talking about the CD-Key and the internet, neither of which I don't think have anything to do with the problem.

During installation, you don't enter the CD-Key anywhere do you?
Its just when you go online is when you enter it correct?
Correct.

Originally posted by Jay
Where could I get a No-CD patch?
http://www.gamecopyworld.com

I got a 128 MB Radeon 1900 Pro video card and installed that to the PC. The game works and looks 5x better than it did before. So I have no more errors. Hopefully I'll see some of you around Friday, Saturday night.

Error

Staff member
1900 pro? You mean 9500, 9700 or 9800 pro?

Never heard of a 1900 pro...

Top Bottom