HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what happened! Last night, we were trying to get a game of spades going. I decided to restart my PC. Well, when I did, I got a message saying something like: Unable to start windows, this file may be missing or corupt: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It says to put my Windows CD in and there is an option to repair it. All it does when I hit R for repair is take me to what I think is a DOS prompt, starting at C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what to do from there.

I tried to reinstall Windows, but it says it does not see a current version of Windows on my system. This means to install my Windows XP update, I need to put in the disc from a previous version of Windows. Well, I DON"T HAVE one! I had WinME, but I don't have a disc for it because it was installed on my system when I bought it. Will ANY old windows disc work? Can I maybe borrow one from a friend that has a disc for an older version?

I'm in a hell of a bind here, and I HOPE one of you guys can help me out. I'll see if I can get ICQ and/or TS up on this PC. It's pretty old though, I thinks it's only got a 133MHz procesor in it, and Windows 95 lol.

Nevermind! I called my friend's dad up and he walked me through it. It's all good now, I just need to reinstall my vid and sound drivers.

It's all Novalogic's fault! Those pricks are out to get the COG brothers! You must have downloaded the Yahoo multiplayer drivers patch called "Spade.0" that Scuddman and I were using last night! LOL!

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta [COG]

P.S.

What exactly DID happen?

LMAO. I have NO idea. It was working fine (with the exception of being able to get into the game of spades). I hit restart, then when the PC rebooted, I got that message. I tried hitting F8 and then choosing the option to go back to the last known working setup of Windows. That didn't work either.

What I ended up doing was putting in my WinXP setup disc, I chose repair, then I renamed c:\windows\system32\config\system to system.old and then copied a new system file from the c:\windows\repair directory (the repair console is just a DOS prompt). After that, I restarted, and Windows booted up. I had to reinstall my vid card, sound card, and ethernet card drivers and I was all set.

Funny thing is, I think I'm better off... While reinstalling my vid card driver, I found some optional things I could install that I didn't install last time. There were some pretty cool features I added to my vid card.

I'm in a hell of a bind here, and I HOPE one of you guys can help me out. I'll see if I can get ICQ and/or TS up on this PC. It's pretty old though, I thinks it's only got a 133MHz procesor in it, and Windows 95 lol.

Dude, with that setup you are WAAAAY above the system requirements for K-Diddy's new old hottness - RS Platinum Pack!

Bitter in California [COG]

LMAO @ Gren!

I just finished putting in floppy #30 for Covert Ops. I had to underclock my processor and take out a stick of RAM, but I think I can play now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom