Interesting post from SWG creative director to devs and players....

Here's Holocron replying to a very well thought-out post written by fellow player Armok Labo, concerning effective toughness of Creature Level and its impact upon the game:

This is a really excellent post, and it's been passed around to the dev team to look at.

You know, changing the way con works isn't the only issue; even having accurate cons and creature levels will simply reinforce the fact that much of what was intended to be high level content effectively isn't. In a sense, we got one shot to set the high end range for content, because it's hard to justify stuff being tougher than krayts, AT-ATs, etc. We missed our one shot, and everything is too easy.

Fundamentally, we can only fix that by making things tougher than they are now. It's not like an EQ case where we can start adding gods and bigger types of giants and dragons and the like at the high end; we need to actually make our current mobs BE the high end.

In other words, we might have to wield the nerf bat. I suspect that making most opponents tougher isn't necessarily the type of nerf that people dislike though--I think that most combat players would probably welcome more challenge at the mid and especially high ranges. Am I right on this?

-Raph Koster
Creative Director

Ethakk

Staff member
Good Idea, but that Nerf Bat worries me, SOE can't seem to hit the bugs without knocking over the lamp as well, every time something is nerfed they jack up something that was working.

As for the inability to add new content, I don't see the problem, "we can't add new dragons, giants..." why not? why can't they "discover" a new planet, or why can't some extragalactic space thingy bring in some foreign fauna, ala Bart Simpson's Frog in Australia.

SOE is dealing with content issues as if their hands are tied, let me clarify this, ahem, *cough* *cough*, YOU ARE DEALING WITH A SCIENCE FICTION GALAXY! WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T ADD ANYTHING? I DON'T REMEMBER THERE BEING ANY GORGS IN THE MOVIES, STOP LIMITING YOUR OWN DEVELOPMENT! :giveup: ON TOP OF THAT ADD MORE QUESTS OR REMOTE LOCATIONS, OR AT LEAST FIX THE ONES YOU HAVE NOW, OR BETTER YET GIVE US THOSE NEW PLANETS THAT WERE PROMISED! but I digress, there are options besides simply nerfing and renerfing what is already there.

:giveup: :giveup: :blockhead

Mandarr

Staff member
I totally agree Ethakk. (Is totally spelled this way? Dangit I'm just not sure there lol.) Anyway, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with them adding new species and more higher level creatures where we'd definately need more people to take down and perhaps have them give random stuff like the krayts or what not. I don't remember what other planets they said they'd be putting in, but I do think they had said something about it. I want more planets and more professions and weapons, clothing, armor, etc. etc.
They need to make the quests more like we're becoming heroes for our side by completing them as well. Give us more of a sense of accomplishment than a badge and some credits. Error doesn't even care about the badges and while I'd like to get all of them, they don't sound all that much fun really. There should be excitement and danger involved I guess. And I think they do need to have some type of uber stuff drop out there, but totally random from any NPC or creature and as rare as Jedi should be. Something the other players can not make and although it would be better it would degrade eventually and thus be eliminated from the game.
There's so much they could do with this game as you say Ethakk, it's a science fiction game. They need to use their immaginations.:Vader:

Top Bottom