Just ordered new Computer stuff..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. I got to thinking about making a faster computer... Yes.. i was bored at work today... this is what i just ordered...

Asus A7n8x Deluxe
and
1GB Corsair TWINX-3200LL 400mhz DDR (matched 512mb)

I think that along with the new Radeon 9800pro, I should be raising my home electric bill considerably.

Says it should be here by friday. Hopefully so, that way I have something to do when i get home from work.

Broke [COG]

Error

Staff member
Nice choice of a board,same one I just installed in my cpu and I love it...Hopefully they send you a revision 2.0 which supports 400fsb and is more of a future proofed board IMO...

NForce2 rules!

Nice choice of memory as well,I just need to order mine and a 2800 barton and I'll be set(again)...

Schaaaaaaaaa-weeeeeeeeeeeet.

Error

Staff member
Well,I went from the gigabyte with a VIA KT333 chipset to a soyo dragon with a KT400 chipset which is supposedly faster but the gigabyte out performed the KT400 board in every way possible...No matter how many tweaks I tried I couldnt get the soyo kt400 to go any higher than the RXP and it was lacking by atleast 1000 points in 3d mark 2001...I went back to the gigabyte and enjoyed the better stability and faster speeds,but then realized that in order to get a barton core amd I would need a new board to support the 333 fsb with out clipping an L2 bridge or something...After looking at reviews for a couple months I decided that the next board I would get was gonna have an Nforce2 chipset and the only brands I trusted that used Nforce2 were Abit,Asus and MSI...I heard good things about MSI and heard some mixed feelings about the Abit boards so I chose Asus which is probabaly the most popular board on the market...

I just installed the board last friday,ran 3dmark 2001 and gained about 700 more points over the gigabyte board (700 is quite a bit for just a change of boards)...My boot/restart times are alot faster and I have the same stability as I had with my Gigabyte board...I'm running generic kingston ram and a 2400 tbred so I'd imagine if I threw some corsair XMS or twinx ram in here and ran it at dual channel with a barton I would cruise..

If you dont get a performance increase then something is seriously worng...

cool... I would think that the ram i orderd would make the biggest difference especially in dual channel mode.

I was also reading that corsair ram, expecially the twinx that i bough like to be overclocked and or have aggresive timing.

What do you know about that??? How difficult is it to squeeze out a few more ponies without sacrificing stability or put the hardware in extreme danger...?

Error

Staff member
With proper case cooling your hardware should be fine,that corsair comes with heat spreaders and is the ram most often used by overclockers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom