My PC keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what might have caused my PC to restart suddenly? It often happens nowadays... for the past 3 days. I have no idea what caused it. There's no conflict on hardware. Temperature is still sensible, with CPU temp max 60 degrees Celcius, and Mobo max 50 degrees Celcius.. that's the hottest they ever get.

Error

Staff member
Is this your new PC or your old one?

How often does it reboot? Does it reboot right after you turn your PC on or is it just random reboots?

Can you list your system specs for me?

I've have similar problems and most are hardware related...That dosent ment your hardware isnt compatiable though,you could just have something set up wrong...

Mine does this from time to time, but I have tracked it down to my Cable Modem being hooked in through USB. Somewhere in XP, there is a function to turn off the system restarts and instead it will give you a blue screen with info and tell you to manually restart. That is how I figured out my problem was related to USB.

I am at work and on a Windows 2000 machine and here is how to get there in Win2k:

Right click My computer-->Properties-->Advanced tab-->Startup and Recovery button-->Uncheck the third box under System Failure called Automatically Reboot.

Hopefully it is similar in XP.

Scudd

This is my new PC.

A couple of times it rebooted after starting. But most of the time it reboots in the middle of me doing something (like surfing, or playing games, or even working on MS Office).

Here's my spec:
Intel P4-2.53 GHz
Asus Mobo P4PE
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
NVidia GeForce4-Ti4200 128MB
2 x 256MB DDR PC2700 Kingston
80GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
20GB Seagate 5400 RPM (my old hard drive)
D-Link USB Modem DU-560M
Sony DVD-ROM 16x
Sony CD-R/RW 48x/12x/40x
HP DeskJet 948c (USB)
Canon Scanner FB630U (USB)
Logitech QuickCam (USB)
BroadCom 4401 Ethernet (built-in mobo)
HP 21" Monitor

Hmm... am I forgetting something... I guess not.... Can you see anything that might be conflicting each other?

I suspect that the USB Modem is the cause of the problem, because often the reboots happened when I was on the net.. A couple of times the modem just went dead and freezes my PC.

I have just re-installed the modem driver, and will see how it goes in the next couple of days.

I will try your suggestion as well Scudd. Thanks for that.

Error

Staff member
try taking out that old hard drive and running your cpu like that for a few days...

Also might want to switch around your PCI cards because some boards are picky with what you use in certain PCI slots...

Try putting your ram in different slots,try putting it in slots 2 and 3 or 1 and 3,I know Asus reccomends using dimm slots 2 and 3 on some of their boards so that might help and it's worth a try...

Your reboots could be due to the board being picky so changing around a few things might help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom