RUNDLL troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know exactly what this Rundll program is. It just appears in the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" window. One time when playing Rise of Nations, the game crashed because another program stopped responding, Mgsrv32 or something like that, and I had to restart the computer. After the restart, a window popped up on screen saying that the file 2ndsrch.dll was in an incorrect format and the computer was unable to read it. The title or headline of the window said RUNDLL, so I guess the file is related to it. 2ndsrch.dll is an application extension. I doesn't seem to cause any serious problems on the computer, only that the error pops up every time the computer starts up. Is it possible to set it back into the correct format, if anyone knows what format it should be in? What is this RUNDLL program also?

Also, ever since I got the computer updated, this Mgsrv32 program stops responding half the time when the computer is running. It didn't happen so much before the computer was updated, but now it happens twice as much. Whenever it stops responding, it forces you to restart the computer sooner or later because all other programs will stop responding also, and/or the computer will freeze. It doesn't seem to have any pattern or consistancy when it stops responding, but I think it seems to usually occur when I try to load a program. What is this program? What could the problem be?

Thanks for all the help.

Virus? Trojan? Worm?

Have you run scans for any of these?

I don't know exactly what they are, but I do know they are an essential part to your windows os. if they crashed, then good chance that your windows will eventually die. Might be a good idea to re-install windows (not clean install), but if it doesn't fix the problem, then you will have to do a clean install.

Rundll is a component in your system, and the mgsrv32 is a service. That's all I know, but I can't explain them :(

Been getting a lot of errors lately. Most have been fixed, some were temporary, some continue to cause problems, some were fixed then come back again, then are fixed. Some errors include files which are in or have similar files that are in the C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder. So I guess thats where it is all originating. One error that I was able to fix was MSXML 4.0 program was installed incorrectly. The program was reinstalled and things ran fine again. It occured when Rise of Nations was loaded. Nortan Antivirus 2002 detects no viruses on Drive C. Scandisk detects no errors on Drive C. Last Defrag over a week ago, about 15 days. Starting today, the CD-ROM does not read anything that is inserted into it. Also the Diagnostic Tool is unable to access Direct3D, DirectShow, or system information. The Diagnostic Tool will cause an illegal operation if it attempts to access those areas, but looking at all the different sections in the Tool, it displays at the bottom there are no errors found. All other programs on the computer run fine. I've looked at http://library.thinkquest.org/C005965F/viralinfo/symptoms.htm and I have no symptoms or images like those displayed there, although I do get more "blue screens" too involving weird file names I've never seen, and they usually don't cause further problems when I continue to do things on the computer. I'll reinstall Windows if I can't seem to do anything else to fix it.

Sounds like it might be a hardware issue. Have you added anything recently that might be causing a conflict? If not, I would guess either memory or motherboard issues.

Mandarr

Staff member
yeah it sounds like it's a possible hardware problem. Try a different IDE cable to your CD drive, maybe another CD drive if that doesn't make a difference. I'd seen errors before because drives were not working properly. Then again it could be a bad IDE channel or whatever it is all together. If that doesn't work and a reinstall doesn't seem to make a difference you may need to look at your motherboard as the problem. Then again what the hell do I know lol? So many possibilities it could be. I just think it sounds like it's having a hard time reading the stuff it's looking for. Either it was uninstalled somehow or something has gone bad so that it can't be accesed (sp?) properly. Good luck Jay.

Mandarr

Staff member
Then again, why is this stuff just popping up in the background and running on your comp? Very strange indeed. Can you tell us what all is running in your windows startup?

Most recently installed programs on computer are Raven Shield and Rise of Nations. Programs that run in the background, the ones I found on the Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu are Explorer, Navapw32, Rnaapp, Downloadplus, Atiptaxx, Wkcalrem, Incd, Rundll, Systray, Loadqm, Hidserv, Printray, Aupdate, Rundll32, Rb32. I know Incd is the CDROM, don't know what everything else is. Programs in the toolbar are Compaq IJ600, Norton Antivirus, ATI, Incd, Volume Control, Display settings, Task Scheduler, and MSN Messanger. I know if MSN is in the toolbar, it is also running in the background, and I always quit it so it isn't running in the background. So I guess most of the other items in the toolbar also run in the background. Now, sometimes instead of the "attempt to load a file with an incorrect format" error, on startup it may instead come up with RUNDLL32 performing an illegal operation, then another error will follow that that says "Error loading 2ndsrch.dll. A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed." Planning on taking the computer to the shop this week to get CDROM checked out, and maybe some of the other problems.

Jay, download this program. Update the program to the current version and then run the utility called TCACTIVE. It tells you what processes are running in the background and gives you a description of what they are. I can tell you from looking at the list you made that INCD and Printtray and a bunch of other crap doesn't need to be running. You need to control these things at startup. Download this program and you can control what your system loads at startup. As far as missing a *.dll file, check out this web site, maybe you can replace your missing dll. Try going to google.com and run a search for *.dll files.

tcactive.JPG

regcleaner.JPG

A program was downloaded and installed on June 17th, which was causing the problems. The program and all of its components was eliminated and now its back to normal. Also got the RAM updated to 512 MB. So I'll probably be getting DF:BHD in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom