Sonofa...

I uninstalled my USB Root Hub in order to get my joystick working. Let me suggest that you NEVER, EVER do that...

Everything was gravy until I tried to get on the Internet. My cable modem is connected via USB and it would not let me renew my IP address. I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Tech Support (Hello Mr. Smith, are you there??) and finally had to do a system restore to get things back to good. To make a shitty story short, TS2 was down, but should be back up and running now. My IP didn't change, so the redirects should be fine. Let me know if anyone has any connectivity issues.

Scudd

Error

Staff member
Did they have you shut down your PC then unplug it before you started it back up again? lol

Did you try taking that little battery inside the tower out? :rofl:

Tech: Mr. Smith are you still there? Ok, I am going to connect you to a level 2 tech at this time and he is going to continue helping you with your problem. It was my pleasure to provide you with outstanding customer service.

Mr. Smith: DOH!

Level 2 Tech: Mr. Smith are you there still? I am the level 2 tech that you were referred to and have been on hold waiting to speak with for the last 59 minutes. Well, here's the situation. You shouldn't have uninstalled your root hub. Try rebooting one more time and if that doesn't work then please feel free to call back.

Actually AT&T has "decent" tech support. They had me power cycle (turn off, turn back on) several times. I can't blame them though, because much like rebooting your PC, it tends to fix 95% of the problems.

I guess for now I have to choose between a joystick or Internet...

Old and busted [COG]

Originally posted by Scuddman
I guess for now I have to choose between a joystick or Internet

Ok, well I'm not the best person to talk to when it comes to PC's, but I thought of a couple ways to connect both:

1. Buy a USB hub. I have absolutely NO experiance with these, but it seems like a solution.

2. My USB mouse came with an adaptor to fit in the old mouse plug (I forget what the connection is called, but it's that one that looks like an S-video cable). Maybe there is an adapter out there that allows you to connect your USB joystick to one of those parralel or serial connection?

Just another idea [COG]

Thanks for the tips P. Unfortunately, I am not short on USB ports. I have a 7-port hub, the problem is that when I plug my Sidewinder into any USB port the computer doesn't recognize it. Good idea on the USB to Serial adaptor though. I will see if I can find something like that and give it a shot. There are a couple of Microsoft articles out there and I tried all that jazz. The last result for Microsoft was to uninstall (both) USB Root Hubs. When I did that, the joystick came back to life, but my cable modem's internal USB network adapter reset itself too. That locked in an IP address that I couldn't release to obtain my real AT&T IP address. If AT&T allowed you to specify an IP, it would have been as easy as setting that up in the TCP/IP properties, but their network requires that you use DHCP.

I will jack around with it some more, but worst case I will just go out and buy a different joystick. I guess for now I will have to turn in my wings and stick to ground vehicles!

Grounded [COG]

I feel ya. At first, I hated flying because it didn't feel right flying with my mouse. After playing with Knox last night, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it and was actually enjoying it. I too may buy a new joystick. I bought this onr to play C4 with you guys, and maybe got 10 uses in. It seems to not want to work with XP, even though it says right on the box that it's compatible. I just hope I can find one with as many buttons as this for about $20. It's got 10 buttons, a throtle, a hat switch, and it twists. I thought for $20 it was a great deal, but I guess you get what you pay for. But anyways, what's so bad about ground vehicles?

Panzer [COG]

Top Bottom