Starting a City

Should we go ahead and start relocating our existing structures and claim a piece of Naboo for our city? I hear it may be early December before they actually increase the cap, but my thought is that if we can get semi-organized now, we will be ready when it does happen. I think I know the flat ground Mandarr was talking about NW of Theed, and i think that would be a great spot. What do you guys think?

I'm definately game... I wanna be out alone in a large stretch of land for sure. We sticking with Naboo style housing or generic? I want more realstate to place many factories for now 3 food and 3 clothing I think and upgrade to a large house.

Qman

Ethakk

Staff member
I'm cool with wherever you guys want go go, but we don't necessarily have to move to wherever before a city hall is placed, doesn't the person who places the city automatically get 100 some meters around the city hall immediately?

Originally posted by Ethakk
It doesn't necessarily matter whether or not they are a guild or individual people, the mayor (presumably Scud?) would still have to grant each individual person building rights and hence citizenship. So basically all we would have to do is make sure that we are never outnumbered at least in the short term, and in that perhaps we should look at other citizens that are likely to be stable players ie. not joining a different city every week.

I grabbed the above from the other post. I don't really have an interest in being the mayor at this point in time. I will however provide whatever structures we need for the city, and plan to build a city hall just so we have one ready to go. The other issue is that I believe the Dev plan is to increase the cap on Naboo before they actually lift the cap. This might mean that even if they raise it another 10, if the politician isn't around when the servers go back up, we still might not make it under the cap.

Worst case scenario in my opinion is that we move out to this new location (which I sent everyone WP's to in game) and rather than having a city, we just have room to breathe. Best case, we move out and are able to drop our city hall once they increase the cap. Either way I don't see it as a bad thing.

We discussed organization somewhat last night, and I think it will be pretty difficult and time consuming to plan everything out at this point. We are all on at different times, which makes it pretty hard to go out there together as we place our structures. I think each person should take care in where they place their house to make sure that it is even and organized. I think we should also space out the houses at least 10-20m so that there is room to shuffle if necessary and we occupy as much space as possible without allowing someone to build in between us.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

Ethakk

Staff member
I like the Idea of having all the factories in one area, as well as perhaps an area for "warehouses" perhaps we should decide what to do before actually moving everything so as to be able to quickly get everything set up before somebody else says "hey look at those guys setting up those three houses over there, I think I'll put mine down backwards and completely contradictory to what they are obviously trying to do." also, as I don't have any resources to mine up for sale, I could also use harvestors as place keepers for a while.

I think we should build in a radial type design.. kinda like architectures do with new neighborhoods.. it allows for easy expansion because as we grow outward radially one natrually gains more ground and everyone has access to everything a conviently as possible. .. it does not have to be strict .. more resembles tic tac toe field.... it not only lets you build outward effectively but it's somewhat modular so that we can move stuff and hop them back when we get a new peice we want to add to the center.... I think. I've seen about 8 player cities who surround the hall immediatly with houses - they may be just temp houses acting as placeholders for a new structure in the center but they may not be.. but we should anticipate this.

F = factories
H= houses
X = civic centers

if we want to place things more of a central them (where major civics lay center) this design is kewl .. we have 4 corners to expand from.. factories alot easier to move then houses...

FFFF HHHH FFFFF

HHHH XXXXX HHHHH

FFFFF HHHHH FFFFFF

If we not worried about central desing then we can do the standard everything on one side deal.. expand east.

FFFF FFFFF

HHHH XXXXX

HHHHH HHHHH

I think it would have to be a radial pattern. That is how the city borders expand, radially from the City Hall.

Mandarr

Staff member
I guess we'll need to be ready and all set for the city hall drop when the servers go up at the time they extend the city cap. From what I've read on the SWG forums they will raise the cap some, but if we aren't fast enough we may end up just being an outpost or something like that.
I like the idea of course that all factories are placed outside of our city limits when we expand. I also plan to move my storage home outside the limits as well since I don't have a player I can have as a resident for that home.
I'm not sure if we should try to have as many people needed for a level two or above city at this time or not. I'm just hoping we don't end up with an outpost becasue we won't be able to have any of the advantages of a player city we're looking to have. :(

By outpost, are you talking about what we allready have? (i.e. a PA Hall and a bunch of houses around it)

I think the first level cities are officially called outposts, so if you have an "outpost" you have a player city.

Mandarr

Staff member
Yes they plan to allow for some more player cities, but they are going to cap that again and all the rest of them will be limited to "Outposts" where they will not get the same type of benefits that a player city would get. If we end up with an outpost we will not be able to grow any further, set up a bank or anything else that we would like to have. :(

Ethakk

Staff member
Well if you had an outpost wouldn't you be in line to get a regular city should one of the "established" ones begin to fail?

Also if nothing else it gives you a set area that would not be buildable by anyone else.

Mandarr

Staff member
ATTN: There may have been a hotfix update today to up the city cap. If we are indeed going to stay where we are then I would suggest giving it the old COG try if you have the time before work Grendel. :) I am not 100% sure on this though, I'd just seen someone posting about it though so who knows? If we don't get a city though or if any of you still would like to join an established city that's A ok with me of course as well. It's too bad the Ice Bay folks were such jerks about it, but perhaps others will have more class than they do.

Mandarr

Staff member
Ok I see the hotfix for today is just to fix the city shift problem and possibly the walking into the clouds thing when entering different rooms of a home. I hope they give us some type of advanced warning for the city cap hotfix though.

Top Bottom