Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fun at your parties tonight. Im going to a lock in tonight, here is a link to the place im going to: http://www.gamewyze.com

Basically it is a gaming loft, and only 40 people are allowed in. I happend to be invited to it. Check out the top-notch gaming computers they have. Anyways, im looking forward to having a great time. Hope everyone else has a good one!

Error

Staff member
I wouldnt exactally say top notch, the 9700 pro is about the only thing above all else in those PC's...Other than that the P4 2.4 and 512 megs of ram is common in most PC's you can buy now days...

Just wait for a few more months when Knox get's his. That is the ultimate hottness!

O.K. Here are the up and coming specs on my new Rig in just a couple more months! And by the way.... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

- Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology

- 1024MB RDRAM PC800 (4-256MB Modules)

- 80GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive
- 80GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive (Second HD)

- 18" LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1" viewable)

- 128MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti-4600G with TV Out and DVI Graphics Accelerator (UNLESS THEY RELEASE THE MX-CARD BEFORE THEN)

- Network Adapter 10/100/1000 Ethernet (Gigabit)

Error

Staff member
I think you mean the FX card bro and if I were you then spending that much money means a few more months wait for an FX card...

BTW,happy new years///

Dam bro, that's a shit load of RAM - is it 16 or 32 bit? Four sticks of 16bit 256 runs $396, 4 sticks of 32 bit runs $480. Gateway price is +$480 so I am assuming it's 32 bit. The way you keep adding to it you must be way over $3,000 by now. If you are willing to spend that much maybe Alienware might be worth taking another look at.

Error

Staff member
I'd be looking at that XP +2700 instead of that P4,you'll get excellent performance for a long time out of that thing and it will probabaly be 3 or 4 hundred dollars cheaper...

Athlon rules the gaming world bro...

Who knows, if we all keep at it maybe we can bring Knox Vader :Vader: back from the dark side.

:dstar1: Obi-Gren :dstar1: [COG]

Yes Gren I am at and above the 3,000 mark now... :sad: BUT! I am still pushing forward to getting it. I know that the "Athalon" series of processors seem to "out-clock" the pentiums in speed, believe me I have heard this from all you guys.... But I have heard from an equal amount of people that they "run too hot", and "they are not as reliable in the long haul as pentium".

Here is the question that I need answered MOST!

If price could be thrown completely out of the picture.... then what is wrong with getting another Gateway for myself?

I want facts... not opinions, on Gateway what makes them the anti-Christ of all PC companies. Because frankly, I love my Gateway, and I have been treated terrific by them, and my PC has lasted me longer than I thought it needed too.

So if you guys wanna convert me from the "Dark Side".... you better start bringing something to the table other than $$$$$....

:dstar1: "Your not my Father!" :dstar1: [COG]

Well the money factor is what most "non-Dark Side" people would consider! If money isn't a factor, then forget about Gateway and call IBM up. I am sure they could build you a custom super computer and run a T3 pipe right up your cornhole! Then you could be the Hosting Sith...

If you are willing to pay the money for the customer service, go with the cow man!

Yoda da man now dawg [COG]

Error

Staff member
The older line of Athlons did have a rep of running hot but they did away with that when the new TBred cores came out...From all the reviews I read you can use standard heatsink fans and you'll be perfectly fine unless you are over clocking, even a pentium would need a better heatsink fan as well....

And I think it's a common myth that Athlons die out faster than pentiums, I keep hearing this from people but I always see someone with a shit load of facts to prove them wrong...

Error

Staff member
Well if your a gamer and planned on spending alot of money then Alienware or Falcon Northwest would be the way to go, both companies will give you top of the line hardware and are focused on gaming rigs...I wouldnt think anything is wrong with gateway,I just wouldnt trust the hardware they put in your PC when it comes to performance,a good processor isnt shit with out good products to go with it...I bought a gaming rig from gateway like 4-5 years ago and I was fine with it but now when I open her up and take a look I see a box full of generic products that were over priced...I payed 1700 for the thing and could have built it for 600 with name brand products inside...

I just dont trust the big PC companies that focus their products on the average user instead of all the high end users out there...

Error

Staff member
I was checking out the gateway site and chose to customize a PC, do they give you a choice on motherboards or do they give you whatever they use in their PC's?

Gateway isn't bad, neither is Sony, or IBM or Dell. I have owned all of them. My first PC was a Sony Vaio that I spent $2,500 bucks on. Then I bought a Gateway for $1,600 as a second computer. I was given an IBM Aptiva which cost $2,500 and I currently use my Dell which cost just under $3,000. I only had to drop $250 for some ram and a new vid card and my P3 550 is still gaming on current games BUT JUST BARELY! In my experience PRICE TAG counts for a lot because I have spent too much on my machines.

AMD vs Pentium: The only person I know that has ever said that the AMD may not be worth it was Furrycat and what he said was that if every fan in your system failed the AMD would burn out as opposed to the Pentium shutting itself down. But regardless, everyone whose opinion truly matters to me swears by AMD and that's enough for me.

Pentium Timeline: Pentium (1993), Pentium II (1997), Pentium III (1999) and Pentium 4 (2000). A P4 3.0GHz may last you 4 years but it won't be the hotness for long. The P4 is already 2 years old. The 4.7 GHz processor is right around the corner and you can bet your ass that they are working on the P5 or whatever they are going to call it and you will be seeing that before long. Not to mention that you have to send your old PC back to Gateway before they build your new one, so you are out of commission for at least a month.

I am in the same boat as you Knox. My machine is on its last legs in terms of gaming and I need some new hotness. It's not all about the money because a few months ago we were both looking at Alienware and I finally decided on a new Dell, until I asked myself this; Was it worth it to me to spend so much now on another system to last me 4 years that would probably be simply run of the mill or way behind the curve in 1 1/2 to 2 yrs?

It's not all price because over the course of 4 years I MAY spend $3,000 but I can guarantee you that EVERY year I will have a current or near current machine.

Obi was nobody's father [COG] :pokin:

Error

Staff member
Chances are that you'll know if all the fans in your system fail...

Error

Staff member
Sorry for moving this but the discussion seems more suited for this board...

LOL! It's a COG tradition to take a topic like "Happy New Year" and turn it in to something else...

Error

Staff member
"A secret about tech support
Let me tell you a secret, most companies deny this, but if you think about it, it does make sense. Picture this, a tech support department has many techs, some have been there for many years and really know their stuff. Other techs are fairly new and don't know much. Here's what happens when you call for help. A level one tech takes your call (he's the newest dumbest tech they have), if he can't answer your question he's supposed to bump you to a level two tech, and so on up the ladder. The reality is, if that level one tech bumps too many customers up the ladder he'll be fired! Since he's not any good why keep him? This means that (unless he's really dumb) if he doesn't know the answer he'll fake it to get you off the phone. Either he'll make a guess (and not tell you he's guessing), or he'll tell you to try something that doesn't have a chance in hell of working and tell you to call back if that doesn't fix it. Meanwhile he's praying that you'll get another tech when you call back!

This is a simple fact! Only geeks who do nothing but mess with 'puters both on and off the job can be any good at their job! Many of the techs I talk to don't play games and some hate 'puters so much they don't even have one at home. How can they possibly stay current with all the changes and problems 'puters have if they only think about them during working hours? They're too busy giving wrong answers at work to study!

Well, after having to learn how to reinstall Windows 3.1 due to mistakes made during tech calls I got so mad that I left that laptop at home for almost two months! If I could have returned it I would have. I then decided to learn how to solve my own problems so I wouldn't have to call... ahem... tech support any more.

Fast forward to today, I spend so much time learning, practicing, taking care of the website, and answering "helpme" emails that I rarely play games anymore!

Here's an example... When Win98 came out I bought it and started playing with it. I bought Windows 98 Secrets by Brian Livingston (great book and series) and the Windows 98 Resource Kit from Microsoft. The Secrets book has 1207 pages, and the Resource Kit has 1766 pages to it! That's a lot of reading! Now add the seven magazine subscriptions I had at that time, all the email newsletters I read, and don't forget the Listserv groups I belonged to that netted me 30-120 emails per day. That's what I did to learn about Win98 and that doesn't count the multiple wipes and reinstalls I did for practice! Now how can a tech who doesn't even have a 'puter at home hope to learn all of this well?"

This is something I just read about the great tech support all these places offer, your best bet is to learn your self and save the bullshit for a later date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom