Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Staff member
Believe it or not
Compaq has told me that unless you only use their restore CD it will void their warranty! You can't upgrade to a new version of Windows and you can't wipe and install from scratch! Getting drivers for a Compaq can be a nightmare. They usually don't offer them unless there was a bug in the version on the restore CD. They will not support you if you wipe and install from scratch! What about the new 'puters that don't give you a copy of Windows? I won't even go there! Does anyone remember when Internet Explorer 4.0 came out, you'd break your Compaq if you installed it! They (Compaq) had to put out a patch to fix it! It wasn't Microsoft's fault, it was Compaq's fault!

Custom 'puters
When you go to a custom shop you can spec out what you want and what you don't want. Yes, you can buy cheap parts or the cutting edge parts. The choice is yours. You'll get a real copy of Windows with your new 'puter. Since these are "off the shelf" parts, getting updated drivers is a piece of cake. When you call for tech support you'll probably talk to the guy who built your 'puter. Real people who know you by name! Sure, they're aren't open 24/7 and they may not have an 800 number either, but at least they know what they're talking about! When you buy from Gateway, you're one of thousands of customers; when you buy from a custom shop you're one of hundreds. Which one will care more if you're unhappy?

If you don't know what the good parts are, that's OK. A custom shop wants you to be a happy customer, so they'll take the time to find out what you want and need and suggest a system based on that. Gee, when was the last time you went to Best Buy and found a knowledgeable... err...kid? The good custom shops are not on commission either. Since they get paid salary they'll be happy to sell you a $699 special or a $4000 fire breathing monster... the choice is yours!

Build your own
While it takes time, it is really cool to build your own 'puter! The satisfaction you get from a fast system that you put together is truly wonderful. Do you go SCSI or IDE? Do you get the latest and greatest of everything, or stay one or two steps behind? It comes down to money VS. speed. Again, your favorite custom shop is the place to go. They'll be more than happy to sell you parts as well as answer your questions. My favorite shop (Quality Computers 1-877-806-9530) will even put the CPU and memory on the motherboard for you if you want at no charge! Ever see a P-III 800 fry cause the heatsink/fan was put on wrong? I'm told it only takes about 10 seconds to kill it.

When it's time to upgrade the video card or sound card, add a hard drive, and so on, it won't be a problem. You know what's in it, you know how many slots are free. Whether you get my opinion, call your favorite 'puter shop or do the reading, you'll be able to upgrade how you want when you want to. If you want to upgrade from a P-II to a P-III on a Dell, not only do you have to upgrade the motherboard, you'll have to buy a new case as well since Dell's motherboards are non-standard.

Are they all bad
So am I saying that you should never buy from one of the big guys? Nope! It all depends on what you want. Sometimes it's best to get a name brand 'puter if it's a newbie's first 'puter. The restore CD will come in handy :)

Seriously, if you aren't concerned about the ability to upgrade, you don't play games, and speed is not that important, then buying a name brand will probably suit you best. But if you are reading this page, chances are you don't fit the above description so you'd better start thinking about that new custom 'puter you're going to spec or build!

Tech: Ok Mr. Smith, I want you to reboot your system and tell me if that solved the problem.

Mr. Smith: Ok, it's done.

Tech: Ok, did that fix the problem?

Mr. Smith: No.

Tech: No? Okay, well this time I want you to power down your computer and leave it off for 30 seconds.

Mr. Smith: Ok.

Tech: -frantically searches the Microsoft Knowledge base while Mr. Smith shut's down his computer.-

Mr. Smith: Ok, it's been powered down for 30 seconds.

Tech: Ok, now restart your computer for me Mr. Smith and let me know when it's complete. -continues to search knowledge base knowing that the average boot time for a pc is 2 minutes and since Mr. Smith bought his computer from Gateway he has at least 20 programs that need to load at startup so that gives him an additional 2 minutes before Mr. Smith is ready to go-

Mr. Smith: Ok, it's all powered up.

Tech: Ok now, is it all fixed now?

Mr. Smith: Nope.

Tech: Hmmm. Well Mr. Smith, can I place you on hold while I do some more research?

Mr. Smith: Sure. -wonders why he had to do all this shit just to find out why his joystick won't work-

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Motherboard Monitor is a program that runs in the sys tray and will shut your computer down if your processor reaches a user specified temperature. I run an Athlon 1800 with a standard heatsink cooled by a single fan, and I don't run any hotter than 120 unless I am gaming. Then it typically goes up to 125 or so. It also monitors the RPM's of your system fans, and can shut down if any of them fail as well.

I bought the Athlon 500 when it first came out about 5 years ago (if not longer) and it is still going strong.

Down with Intel [COG]

Tech: Ok, Mr. Smith, are you still there?

Mr. Smith: Yes.

Tech: Ok Mr. Smith, here is what we are going to do. I need you to power down your computer again and unplug it. When that's done, let me know.

Mr. Smith: Ok.

Tech: Humms the theme to Star Trek.

Mr. Smith: Ok, it's unplugged.

Tech: Ok, now I want you to upen the side of your case and you are going to see a little flat battery that is about the size of a quarter. I need you to take that out and then put it back in.

Mr. Smith: What the hell does this have to do with Joystick?

Tech: Umm, please hold again Mr. smith.

Mr. Smith: Whatever!

Tech: Ok Mr. Smith, it seems we are dealing with an ID-10-T error.

Mr. Smith: ID-10-T?

Tech: Yes sir, what I am going to need you to do is box your computer back up and take it to the store where you purchased it.

Mr. Smith: Ok, but what do I need to tell them??

Tech: Tell them you are too stupid to own a computer. (Click)

Mr. Smith: Hello? Hello?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom